Lock Down.

×

Surprisingly, Shadow wasn't even headed towards Carter. In fact she was walking in the opposite direction she had been a few minutes ago.

The main computer.

Everett didn't have time to ponder over that fact. Shadow walked too fast for him to. And by the time he caught up to her, she was typing with lighting speed on the keyboard.

Soon, following a series of clicks, the mountain started powering down, from the lights to appliances, then from appliances to the entire system itself.

Mount Justice was locked down.

The room became eerily silent. The only sound present was his breathing.

It took the young doctor only a few seconds to realize that something was wrong.

'Only the sound of my breathing?' he said to himself, his alert eyes scanning the room, the blinking computer screen his only source of illumination.

Now he knew why. Shadow wasn't in the chair, in fact, she wasn't anywhere in his line of sight or range of hearing.

She was gone.

Everett turned to the screen again, he could go and look for her in the dark but he knew it would yield no results.

He chuckled to himself. It was hard enough trying to find her in broad daylight.

Now his only option was to try and turn the lights on, a feat he felt was easier compared to trying to find his patient.

Besides, he knew she'd be fine.

He clenched his fist with a look of determination.

Spending all this effort to find her, he wasn't going to let her slip through his fingers. He wasn't going make a mistake like that again.

××

Marching silently towards where she hoped Carter was, Shadow hoped he wasn't doing what she thought he was doing.

She now remembered why they didn't get along. He was just too overprotective and it was going to get him killed one day. She just hoped it wasn't today because then she'd have a lot of explaining to do.

At this moment, Shadow couldn't help hitting the wall next to her, the sound reverberating down the hall.

Hell, even if she did keep him alive, Batman would still want answers.

She smirked, at least Carter could give them to him if asked.

Shadow knew that at most she had a week till she was shipped off to the government but she had a fleeting feeling it was sooner rather than later.

She didn't want to leave though, at least not yet.

But she also knew that the longer she stayed, the more danger she put the Justice League in.

Once her location was found out, it'll stir up a storm. That was a fact.

Carter's appearance might have been a blessing in disguise regarding that matter, she thought apprehensively.

Her hand slid down the wall as the emergency lights suddenly activated, filling the hall with a red glow.

She took a deep breath, dropping her hand to her side. There wasn't time for this.

××

Carter froze as the lights suddenly turned off.

What is she doing? He yelled in his head as his dagger just grazed the surface of his chest.