Cue The Flash.

×

'I don't know who that is.' Naturally, Flash was the first to voice everyone's thoughts.

Carter only smiled and shook his head. 'I expected as much.'

Bruce's features turned grim as he furrowed his brows in thought, those names, he felt like something clouded his mind, like he was sure of the answer yet it evaded him.

'They sound familiar, maybe I've met them.' He said to himself, purposely loud enough for every one to hear, including Carter.

Shadow's cousin seemed taken aback, a look of surprise obvious on his features. 'Then maybe you left an impression on them.'

Dinah raised a brow. 'And that means what exactly?'

'It means that memories connected to those names are sealed.' Before Carter could answer, J'onn spoke up. 'Is my assumption correct?'

'Yes.' Vanessa replied. 'I met them once, when I was younger. I remember their kindness not their faces.'

'If you can't find them, then it's almost impossible to find their daughter.' Clark deduced.

'No, it's barely enough, or else they wouldn't have gone as far as covering up Shadow's true identity.' Batman looked at Carter, the blonde nodding in return.

'Nothing is impossible for Shadow's family, they want her dead, they'll get her dead, it's only a matter of time.' Carter took in a deep breath, as though stating that sentence took all his will power.

'Her family wants her dead?' Flash blinked, 'What did she do to piss them off?'

'Being born without permission.' Vanessa answered this time since Carter looked ready to kill.

'So she has been hiding from her family her whole life, no wonder she has trust issues.' Aquaman muttered to himself.

'No, she trusts everybody, that's how she ends up in situations like she is in right now. She should have never trusted you heroes of all people.' Carter snapped.

'You could have rescued her, yet you showed up drunk.' Batman pointed out.

'Shadow is the last person in the world who needs rescuing.' Carter crossed his arms about to continue when Vanessa turned to him with a storm brewing in her eyes.

'Yes dear?' Carter turned from the dark knight to his girlfriend, a charming smile plastered on his lips.

'You went to mount justice drunk to rescue Shadow?'

'Yes.'

'And you went to rescue her after she explicitly said not to.'

'Yes.'

'And you came back unscathed.'

Carter shrugged. 'She was in a good mood.'

'When is Shadow ever in a good mood?' Vanessa narrowed her eyes, 'And how did you know where she was?'

'How did you know where she was?'

'She sent a message.'

Carter frowned. 'When?'

Vanessa was about to answer when Canary cut her off. 'How does the lightning have to do with Shadow, that is the reason we are here, isn't it?'

Carter narrowed his eyes at Vanessa, who in turn cautiously took a step back.

'Which lightning?' Carter asked her, his voice dangerously quite.

'It was around Robin, protecting him.' Vanessa said.