Day 9:•°Elijah•°

×××
Shadow

I opened my eyes, only to find myself staring at a bleach colored ceiling.

Everything still hurt, but at least I wasn't trapped in another illusion. Much better tha—

How did you know? A foreign voice evaded my mind with the angry question.

Slowly peeling my gaze from the the ceiling, I looked curiously at the boy standing way too far from me. Why is he here?

It was almost a surprise. Almost.

'Eli, you can come closer,' I struggled to breath evenly, carrying out the rest of my sentences through gritted teeth as pain flared through my chest. 'I'm not going. . . to hurt you.'

As he shuffled back, a pang of pain shot through my heart. The distance was three feet, always three feet. He's afraid of me.

I felt my lashes wet with unshed tears.

Not now. I tried to control my emotions but failed for the first time in years. I honestly felt like cry and I could barely suppress the emotions tumble around in my heart. Why now?

What did I do wrong? He asked aggressively in my head.

Blinking back the tears, I looked down at my clothes. They were the same sterile white as the rest of the room.

'Did the director say you shouldn't talk to me?' I asked, not able to contain the bitterness that seeped into my voice.

He didn't say a thing, still staring at the floor.

'Is he going to hurt you if you do?' My voice choked in the middle of the sentence as I watched his head snap up to me in shock.

'I see.' Trying to keep my breathing steady, I flashed him a smile and closed my eyes, counting the silence.

'H-he's g-going to hit me, t-there's a dif. . .difference.' Elijah stuttered to Gabriel's defense.

'I'm not going to let him hurt or hit you.' I stressed, feeling anger burn through me as my mind conjured up images of the bruises that must have littered the boy's skin, beneath the concealing cloths.

'You can't even walk.' Elijah whispered, his little hands balled into fists.

'Eli, can you please come, I'm lonely.' I smiled sweetly to hide my desperation to examine him as I stared at him intently.

'He going to kill me,' the boy shouted, in anger. 'And it's Twelve. . . not Eli. I'm not Eli.'

I turned away from him. 'You did nothing wrong,' I finally answer him, 'and there was nothing wrong with your technique. It amazes me that you have perfected an illusion within an illusion. I never-'

'Then what happened?' He gazed at me morbid curiosity swirling within his bright grey eyes.

'One step,' I said with a cheerful voice. 'Just one step.'

The air was still for a moment before the soft sound of rushing feet rang out and he was next to me.

'That's about a metre.' He kneeled by my head, gazing at me seriously.

I threw him a strained smile, forcing words of concern back down my throat. 'The cell was styled like a dungeon in Nanda Parbat, it was bloody, morbid. . . dirty. Everything the Foundation isn't.'

'The dungeon?' Elijah looked at the floor in thought. 'Was it only that?'

'No,' I paused, deliberating on what to say. 'It was everything. The way the situation felt, the nurse's behavior, Gabriel's behavior.'

He stared at me apprehensively. 'So it was me?'

'No.' It's never you.

He stayed silent, his breathing slowing down as he started speaking again. 'It was you?'

'Y-yes.' I said truthfully.

It was me. I was too observant, too untrusting, too perceptive. It was what kept me alive for so long. What I didn't know was what question I was answering.

'Eli, I didn't mean to. I. . .'

'But you did.' He got up, brushing dark hair away from his eyes. 'You weren't supposed to break the illusion, but you did. I let you.'

'It's. . . not your fault.'

'I have to go now.' he replied tonelessly.

'No. . . Don't go.'

'You should have never come back.' He turned on his heel and walked out the door.

And I was left in silence.

At that moment everything that had happened just seemed to pile up.

The tears didn't seem to stop, and I didn't want them to. I was tired. Just tired.

'Look how far you've fallen.' A voice said with disappointment.

I didn't know how much time had passed or if any had at all, but my knees were now pressed to my chest and my face was buried in my arms.

I didn't look up.

'Crying in front of the enemy, a petty show of weakness.' The taunting voice continued.

'He looks just how I remembered him,' I choked back a sob, not looking at Gabriel.

'He does, doesn't he?'

'He. . .' I wiped the tears from my eyes and cheeks, forcing my voice not to tremble. 'He hasn't fallen sick. . . since I left?'

'Your Darling is in perfect health, no need to worry. I'm sure you saw that from the strength of his illusions.' Gabriel smiled and sat next to me, straightening his suit as he did. 'That is why you went through all the stress to get here isn't it?'

I nodded, too overwhelmed by emotions to speak.

'I promised to keep him safe and hidden all these years for you,' Gabriel said.

'You've hurt him.' I looked into the man's hazel eyes.

He grinned lightly, fangs peeking out. 'Mildly, I assure you.'

'He's terrified here,' I dropped my hands to my sides. 'Let me get him out, please.'

'No.'

Okay, then. I'll find another way. I closed my eyes tightly and looked away. 'What does he remember?'

'Enough of his traumatic past to understand why you did what you did and not hate you. . . completely.'

'He hates me?' I sighed in relief. That's good. . . for now at least.

'To the bone,' Gabriel smirked.

'I can't take him away?' I asked again, desperately. I only need him back. I already have Robin. When I have both of them, I'll disappear.

'Of course, it isn't impossible.' He folded his arms. 'But what can you exchange for his freedom. . .and don't say you won't escape. We both know you're not going to. Not while he's here, at least.'

I let out a breath, thinking about what I'd do to free Elijah, my Elijah. Because in this world, there are only three people that I can't do without.

'I'll do anything.'

×

AN: The hell is happening?

Who so you think are the three people? Eli is obviously one, but who is he? And Robin HAS to be on the list too.... Who is number 3?