Sleep with a smile

××
Shadow

By now it was safe to say that I planned on staying at Mount Justice for as long as I could manage. I'd even put up with Artemis' abuse and Batman's interrogations if I had to.

'You can stay in my room today,' Robin had whispered in my ear to finally get me to let go of him and break our hug. He didn't want to get in trouble with Canary. After all, he was supposed to get me a new set of clothes to change into.

That of course was impossible, though it was a kind thought from the heroine. She seemed to have forgotten that suit was my life support system. Without it my life would be forfeit.

I was nowhere near healthy enough to wear normal clothes yet but my suit could imitate them just as well.

'Just like M'ganns,' Robin laughed when I copied the Martian's outfit to prove said point. He handed my a pair of civvies a moment later, both identical to one's I'd seen him in before.

I had asked him for the sunglasses, but he told me mine weren't ready yet. My smile grew wider even I thought I had smiled enough.

He said I looked extra beautiful when I smiled so I guess I'll be smiling more often from now on

He should be sitting on the bed now while I stood in shower, reminiscing about how nice my life was turning out instead of turning on the water and turning my clothes transparent.

Shaking my head, I began the tedious process of unwinding my hair then turned the shower knob.

Warm water coursed over my blood matted skin and through my tangled hair. I grabbed the shampoo and almost used all of it to wash my hair.

The fact that it smelled like Robin didn't help me control myself. In fact, I think altogether I spent over an hour wasting water and rubbing myself off with soap before I finally stepped out of the bathroom.

Robin was not waiting for me, but he had left a note.

Head to the kitchen if you're hungry. Been called home by the bat.

—R

Home. It was a funny word to me. Maybe it was because I lost mine so long ago that I translated the definition as not being alone. But I was alone now.

I took in a deep breath and absentmindedly traced my newest bullet wound. And I was hungry.

I guess it was time to head to the kitchen and confront the rest of the team. I'd already decided not to beat anyone while I stayed here, so the only question now was whether I'd wait for my hair to dry before setting out or not.

Watching the light bulb above my head for a moment, I grabbed a towel and headed out, deciding not to close my eyes in a dark room anytime soon.

××

'Shadow!'

It was M'gann who noticed me first though I wasn't really trying to hide. But I guess she was startled to see me because he expression was half-terrified.

I had been caught in the middle of opening the fridge but she was looking at me like I had a gun pointed to a third grader's head.

I grabbed an apple and slowly closed the fridge. 'M'gann,' I nodded in her direction and ignored her startled yelp when I headed for the knives.