Darkness.

×××
Mount Justice
25/08/2010
{Shadow}

Disconnected, that was how I felt, the world nothing but an illusion, life nothing but an unyielding artist and I, the plain canvas.

Life had always been harsh on me. My parents got slaughtered, people I considered my second parents got murdered, all those pains I could endure. The fact that I've been tortured, broken and dehumanized meant nothing to me, as long as I could leave this giant ball of soil and sorrow we called earth with a smile on my lips it would be okay.

I once was told that the way a man died revealed his true self. I wonder what my true self will be when I die. Truth is, life is cruel. No matter what I went through I still managed to stay alive, I never get to part with the world and it's troubles.

My vision swam as my sight returned sluggishly, a deafening ringing in my ears as if I was caught up in the blast radius of an explosion.

This wasn't good. The hallucinations were going to start any time soon.

Two blurry figures laid in front of me on the floor, and as I focused on them things became clearer.

Batman and Martian Manhunter were the figures. The Bat was crouching on the floor next to the Martian, from here I couldn't tell whether the green man was still conscious or not.

What did I do?
What do I do?

I groaned in pain when everything came back to me.

The truth serum. Batman. My mental blocks, the stupid Martian must have gotten past them when I lost consciousness.

If only I was strong enough, If only I had paid more attention—

Nothing would have changed, what happened, happened, now we have to fix it.

I took in a deep breath and closed my eyes, clearing my mind as I imagined what I knew it would look like. Surrounding me was a white space that seemed to stretch out for eternity—it was my mind.

I started walking.

I had to go in deeper to find the wall that Mr Martian got through, then maybe I could fix it and get everyone awake again.

The problem was, it much easier said than done. Putting up multiple blocks at once was simpler than putting them up one at a time. Basically like buying in bulk.

It also required a lot of mental energy and I didn't know if I had that much energy left.

Such a nice wall.

Obviously I had gotten the idea from the great wall of China, but still I had to admire it, it was well built.

It was the barrier between my open thoughts and my deepest secrets. The deeper you ventured into my mind, the stronger the security.

I started walking the length of the wall in hopes of finding the opening that had been created. I remember how long it took me to build all the mental blocks here. Three months.

This precise wall took three weeks. I had built the wall the way a normal wall was built, with individual building blocks. It was very time consuming but stronger than any other way.

Cracks extended from where I now stood like cobwebs, starting from a point on the wall then continuing on the other side. I walked to the center, where the cracks had originated, and put my palm on the surface of the wall.