fifty

fiFTY WOoO

* * * * * *

Harry was just about 4 years old when it all started. His dad always came home late. Drunk, he smelled like beer and cigarettes. Harry would be asleep, but his mother would still be up, waiting for her husband to arrive home.

Harry would be in a deep slumber, until the yelling started. With the sound of glass shattering almost every night, he would wake up. He never really understood what it was all about. But this went on for years. Once he got older he would understand what they were saying. He'd sneak out of his bed and he would go down the stairs on his tippy toes, just to hear his parents fight. It wasn't nice, no, you might understand that. They were really going at it. Calling each other names and telling each other to 'fuck off'. Harry didn't know what that meant, but he knew his parents used bad words when they were fighting. Some days they would fight until dawn, but other days they'd just 'keep it calm', if you could call it that.

Harry was scared. Afraid that his parents might split up or hurt each other. Once he had enough of hearing them fight, he'd go back to his bed and put a pillow over his head. He'd sob into pillow and beg for them to be done.

"Please, make them stop." Young Harry would beg. He repeated those words over and over again, everytime they fought.

But stopping was something they simply never did.

* * * * * *

"Babe? You ready to go?" Harry calls for me, "I've been waiting for 10 minutes!"

"Yeah! Give me just a second!" I say as a apply a nude lipstick to my lips.

"You've said that 4 times already." I hear Harry sigh. I don't think I was supossed to hear that, so I decide not to reply.

I quickly run out of our bedroom, throw on some shoes and a jacket and then I'm ready to go.

"Done?" Harry asks me.

I nod, "Yes."

"Good, let's go." he sounds annoyed.

What the fuck? What is going on with Harry these days? I don't understand him and I honestly don't think I even want to.

"Why are you wearing makeup by the way? You don't need it, because you're beautiful without. Plus, we're only getting you the morning after pil and we're going grocery shopping."

I shrug, "I don't know. I feel more comfortable wearing makeup when I'm out. Besides, it's not even that much."

Before we step into Harry's car, I notice him rolling his eyes.

"Whatever."

* * * * * *

"We are not getting that."

We just arrived at the grocery store right after we went to the pharmacy to get me a pil. I immediately took it, because the lady said it's best to take it as soon as possible after you've had unprotected sex, so I did.

"Why not?" I say, still with a nice tablecloth in my hand.

"We're just not. We are here to get the things we need, not some random garbage." he complains.

"This is not garbage, though. It'll make our place look nice." I argue.

"We are not getting that." Harry repeats.

I roll my eyes and sigh in defeat, "Fine, we're not."

We continue walking around in the store grabbing products we need like fruit, vegetables, spices and chocolate. Okay, chocolate was not something we necessarily needed, but Harry insisted we bought some. And if I'm honest, I couldn't say 'no' to that.

"What would you like to eat tomorrow as dinner?" Harry asks me.

"Uhm, I don't know. Could we maybe go out?"

"You want to go on a date?" Harry smirks at me.

I chuckle, "Yes, I would love to."

"Alright, when we get home I'll look for a fancy restaurant."

"Okay, but only if it's not too expensive."

"I'll be paying so that's up to me." Harry shrugs.

"I just don't want you to spend all your money on me, since you bought the apartment as well."

"Fine. I won't spend too much money." he pecks my cheek, "Whatever."

I realised that this would be our first proper date. I actually want Harry to ask me out, because that would've been more special than me suggesting it.

"Harry?" I fumble with my fingers as we walk on.

"Yes, love?"

"Would you, uhm, maybe want to ask me out? Because, uhm, it'll be our first proper date." I stammer.

"Ask you out?" he frowns, but then soon smiles at me, "Alright."

"Dear Lucy, my beautiful girl, would you like, or should I say, love, to go out on a date with me?" he smirks.

"Yes, I would love to, Harry." I chuckle.

"Don't go there, honey. He might get angry, hit you and then leave you like he did with me." A sudden unfamiliar voice says from behind me.

"And with the others."