Money {11}

"Because it is not my money" I explained simply.

"But he left the money for you. It's written in his will."

Thankfully the appetizer that I forgot the name of arrived along with the wine. I avoided Mr McKinley's gaze by looking at the waiter who from his shaking fingers was nervous.

After the waiter poured our wine and left the bottle in a container of ice he put our appetizers in in front of us. From closer inspection I saw that it was four scallops in their shells with a mushroom and onion sauce beneath it.

The waiter said, "Savourer" before leaving me to deal with the intense gaze that only Mr McKinley could do.

I watched Mr McKinley take a slice of lemon and he squeezed it over the scallop before poking it with a fork and bringing the shell to his mouth. He used the fork to guide the food into his mouth.

Mimicking his action I did what he did and unfortunately I couldn't pull it off as flawlessly as Mr McKinley. The delicious sauce dripped out my mouth and rolled down my cheek.

I placed my hand under the sauce to stop it from dripping and I looked for any napkins but there wasn't any. How come the waiter didn't think about the first time eater who may cause a mess.

Looking around I saw Mr McKinley reach into his suit jacket and he pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to me with his infamous intense gaze on his face.

Can he look away? This is so embarrassing. Taking the napkin I wiped the sauce from my mouth and cheek. Doing this caused me to smell his napkin and it surprisingly smelled good. I wondered if he sprayed his handkerchief with his cologne. I highly doubted Mr McKinley would waste time spraying his handkerchiefs.

Snapping back into reality I realized that I was rubbing the same spot over and over again and I probably looked crazy. I looked towards Mr McKinley and saw him sipping his wine oblivious to my reverie.

Quickly removing the amazing smelling piece of very soft cloth I didn't know whether or not I was supposed to give it back to him.

Sensing my dilemma Mr McKinley said, "Keep it."

I folded the napkin and placed it on the table since I didn't know exactly where I was supposed to keep it. I didn't want to put it in my bag because Mr McKinley might think of me as disgusting. If I throwed it out it might seem rude since the little piece of cloth was very soft and it seemed very expensive.

"Sorry" I apologized

"It's fine" I took a sip of my wine and I was very surprised by the sweet, nutty, chocolate-y flavor it had. This was a high upgrade compared to the cheap wine that I drank in Andys.

"Nothing like a good wine" Mr McKinley voice interrupted me from my wine appreciation.

"Of course it's delicious" Mr McKinley grabbed another scallop, ate it then he chased it down with the delicious wine.

The last scallop stared me in the face and deciding not to embarrass myself again I continued taking small sips of my wine.

The waiter came again this time with my Chicken Fricassee and with Mr McKinley's dish that I forgot the name of. It was something along the lines of Blanket.

The plate was so hot that I could see the steam coming of the plate. It smelled delicious. I couldn't remember the last time I had food that looked this fancy.

Pieces of chicken were evenly sliced and covered with a sauce. The chicken sauce covered a bowl of pasta and I couldn't wait to dig in.

I looked across to see Mr McKinley dish and his looked amazing. He had a bowl full of a cream like soup and pieces of meat poked out the soup along with onions and other vegetables. His dish also included a bowl of garlic bread.

With the same words as before the waiter walked away to leave me and Mr McKinley alone. In this moment I was thankful that my dish was easy to eat therefore I didn't have to worry about any more embarrassing moments.

As we both waited for the food to cool down, Mr McKinley, brought up the previous topic that I hoped he had forgotten about.

"Ms Suren are you going to give me a valid reason as to why your refusing the money."

"The money doesn't belong to me. Its my uncle's money."

"But he left the money for you. It belongs to you now"

I was very grateful for my uncle giving me the money. But I knew that he was very generous with the money because of how guilty he felt for letting me stay in the foster home. This made me uncomfortable with taking his money. I didn't want his pity money.

"I want to work hard for money. I don't want it handed down to me on a silver platter." I explained

"So you choose to live life in poverty rather than accept a gift."

"My living conditions don't concern you." Mr McKinley was ruining my mood. I wish he could just shutup and let me eat my Chicken in peace.

"Ms Suren don't let your pride get in the way of accepting a gift. Look at you, you take a bus for 2 hours to come to work when you can buy a car. You use a flip phone when you can easily upgrade to an IPhone. You clothes are hideous and you can very easily buy better cloth-"

"STOP!" I shouted at him. I didn't even care anymore if I got fired. I couldn't take this anymore from him. Taking out a $20 bill from my bag I slapped it on the table before walking out the door.