Punishment {38}

I walked back inside my apartment and I slumped onto my couch. My mind couldn't fall back asleep. I had to catch the 5am bus to be at work by 7am. I took a quick shower and slipped on my black pencil skirt and a purple button up.

After finishing another yogurt cup, I gathered my hair into a bun and packed up my bag. I said goodbye to Maria who mumbled back something incoherent and I slipped on my grey suede heels.

Due to the lack of sleep I had, I was exhausted. My eyes were drooping as I sat on the bus. I rubbed under my eyes and covered my yawn while walking into the building.

The building was nearly empty since it was early. I dragged myself into the break room and made myself a cup of coffee. After drinking my two cups of coffee, I made Mr McKinley's coffee since it was 7:10.

I placed the coffee on his desk and waited for him to acknowledge me.

"You're late"

"My apologies." I stated dryly

"The stack of papers need to be typed then emailed. The contact names are on each folder. Then I need a neat handwritten version mailed to the contact houses."

There were over 50 folders each bursting with papers. This was was a lot of work to do and it would surely take forever. Was this his punishment for what happened earlier in the morning?

"Sir can I just mail the typed version to the contact houses?" I asked using my sweetest voice.

"No I want it handwritten and neat"

"That would take fore-"

"Get to work Ms Suren" he wasn't even looking at me. He was trying to punish me with work. He eyes stayed on his paper as he scribbled away.

"Sir if this is about what happened earlier this morn-"

"Get to work Ms Suren" he looked at me with his cold brown eyes and I managed to pick up all the folders and walk into my office.

I heard the voices of people filling the building. Thier laughter was lightly heard as they walked over to their offices. I wish I could be laughing instead of typing these files.

It was noon and I only emailed 3 of the ten contacts. I still had to rewrite everything and mail them. A yawn escaped my lips no matter how hard I tried to conceal it. While writing the fourth email I could feel myself drifting off to sleep.

I was just so tired and I finally gave in to sleep and shut my eyes. Not even a minute after I closed my eyes the office phone rang. I shot out of my seat since my ear was placed directly next to the speakers.

I cleared my throat and responded with, "Mr McKinley's office. How may I help you?"

"Hey its Sophie. You coming down for lunch?"

I released a silent groan and replied with, "Nope. I can't. I'm crammed with work"

She said her goodbyes and I hung up the phone. I stared at the phone and laptop for several minutes as I contemplated what to do. I just needed a couple minutes of sleep.

I went over to the electrical socket and decided to unplug the office phone. By the way that Ian spoke to me, I doubted he would call me again. He bombarded me with enough tasks for the whole day.

After unplugging the phone I placed my head on my desk and drifted off to sleep.

A loud slam of a door made me jump up in my seat. I was ripped away from my dream as I looked at Ian standing in the doorway.

He entered my office and slammed the door shut. He stormed his way to my desk and picked up the unplugged phone wire.

"This" he stated pointing to the wire, "Stays plugged in. I have called you two times! You don't unplug it because you want to take a nap. You don't sleep here you work here"