#42. My Brother's Jackass Best Friend (Part 2) » Jake

*Jake's POV*

I stood waiting for Micki inside the hall. I knew it was probably a dick move, but the moment she walked in I had to tell her the truth; Austin dared me to ask her to prom. Neither one of us thought she'd say yes, at least not as easily as she did.

The moment Micki walked through the door, I had to tell her it was all just a dare. It'd ruin her night, but it was better than pretending I actually wanted to be there with her.

"You sure you're okay with me breaking your sister's heart on prom night?" I asked Austin as he walked in with his date.

"I don't care," Austin replied. "Maybe she'll get so upset she'll sleep with the first loser who asks and she'll finally get laid."

Now I felt 10 times worst about having to break her heart. Austin wasn't the nicest of big brothers and poor Micki would have to live with him gloating over how "humiliating" it was for her to be dumped on prom night. And it'd be all my fault.

Fuck, I'm a terrible person.

Maybe I could bail last minute. Maybe when Micki showed up and I wasn't there, she'd just go home or go about her night and not care that I wasn't there. Maybe -

"Hey, is that Micki?"

I turned to see Micki entering the hall. The moment I laid my eyes on her, I felt as if I was going to pass out, but in a good way.

Damn, she looked good! Even better than Priscilla ever looked, which wasn't hard since Priscilla was usually half naked.

But Micki, she looked...beautiful. Her dress made her look like a princess, her hair was pulled out of her ponytail and was now a curly mess, but in a good way. And she was actually wearing makeup! She never wore makeup! Not even lipgloss!

I noticed a group of guys from the football team giving Micki googly eyes while their dates eyed some other dudes that had just walked in. I suddenly felt protective and crossed to meet Micki halfway so everyone knew she was mine that night.

"Hey," I said. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks. It was my mom's prom dress, actually," Micki said, looking down at the dress. I could see the pride in her face as she looked back at me. "It's nice, hey? Some dude outside who's getting a handy from his date stared at me as I came in...which now that I'm thinking about it isn't a good thing."

I laughed and offered Micki my arm. She gladly took it and the two of us entered prom together.

The music blared as everyone stood in the middle of the dance floor, most dates grinding against each other as if they were in a club downtown. Micki looked uncomfortable immediately and I knew she wasn't a fan of the dance style, so we made our way to the refreshments table instead.

I could see guys' eyes being torn away from their date to stare at Micki and I felt myself getting more protective. I slung my arm over Micki's shoulder and yanked her close, letting the guys know that she was MY date, not theirs.

"Are you alright, Jake?" Micki asked.

"I'm fine," I shrugged. "I'm at the prom with the hottest girl in school, aren't I?"

"You're not here with me."

I rolled my eyes as my disgusting sister leaned against the refreshments table in a way that showed off her cleavage. I stepped back a bit, pulling Micki with me as I did.

"You went through with it, then, huh?" Catherine asked, eyeing Micki. "You actually took her."

"What do you mean?" Micki asked Catherine before turning to me. "What does she mean you went through with it?"

Catherine scoffed. "You don't know. The only reason Jakey here took you is because - "

"Let's dance!" I cut Catherine off. "I'll go request a slow song. Come with me, Micki."

"Oh, okay. Bye Catherine," Micki said as I pulled her into the crowd of dancing students. I tightened my grip on her hand so that I wouldn't lose her to the sickos who were eyeing her. "Oh! Can you request Wonderwall by Oasis?"

"Sure, babe, whatever you want," I told her with a wink. I felt a weird pleasure in seeing that I managed to make her blush. For years Micki had been telling me how I was a "bonehead" and a "jackass" and a "stupid jock" and stuff like that, I never would've thought I'd ever get to go to the prom with her like this.

After requesting the song, the DJ played it right away. I pulled Micki to the middle of the dance floor and the two of us began to slow dance. I noticed Austin staring at me from across the room and I recognized it as his death stare, probably because I didn't break it off with Micki like I said I would. Austin may be a shit brother, but he still cared about Micki a lot.

Then the guilt washed over me again. Almost everyone except Micki knew the real reason I asked her to prom. I couldn't keep her on the dance floor all night. At some point she'd get tired or thirsty or have to go to the bathroom and that's when Catherine or Austin or even Priscilla would jump in and tell Micki about the dare. I couldn't let her night be ruined, but I had to be the one to tell her. It'd kill her if she heard it from someone else.

"Hey Micki?" I said. She hummed in response. "I gotta tell you something."

Micki lifted her head from my shoulder to look at me. "Is it that Austin dared you to ask me to prom?"

Micki and I stopped swaying along to the song long enough for what Micki said to sink in. A couple beside us bumped into me and we began to dance again.

"H-how-how did you - ?" I stuttered. Dammit, Jake, pull it together! It's an easy sentence!

"How did I know?" Micki asked. "Austin told me today when I started getting ready in attempts to talk me out of coming to prom. I decided to not only one up him but one up you, too. Mom helped me get ready and helped me to look like a princess so that you'd know what you were missing when you dumped me or ditched me. I'm pretty surprised you're still here."

"I guess your plan worked," I shrugged. "I'm sorry, Micki, I really am. I do like you. Fuck, I like you a lot! It's just, you're Austin's sister. He'd kill me if I dated you. The only reason he dared me to ask you to prom is to see if I'd actually go through with it."

"Your apology is only half accepted," Micki said with a smirk. "You have to do something for me."

"What would that be?"

Micki looked up at me. The next thing I knew, her hand was on the back of my neck and she pulled me for a kiss.

I could only imagine the looks I was getting; Austin's death stare would've intensified, Catherine would be jealous, Priscilla probably would be ranting to her weird, director boyfriend and his plastic bag about how much of a loser Micki was. But I didn't care. Honestly, I had been dreaming of that moment for such a long time and for the first time, I didn't care if anyone saw us.

Micki pulled away first. She rested her forehead on mine and looked up at me.

"Okay, I changed my mind," she said. "You're only 3/4 forgiven. You have to do something else before you receive my full forgiveness."

I laughed and rolled my eyes. "Come on, Mick."

"You'll like this one," she said with a smile. "You're creepy, incestusal sister is here with someone, right?" I nodded. "And your parents; are they home?" I shook my head. She looked down and bit her lip, contempating whether or not she wanted to say whatever was on her mind. "Take me home."

"Micki, I said I'm sorry - "

"Not like that," she laughed, looking up at me again. "Take me to your place."

It finally clicked what she was saying. I smiled. "Gladly."