Prompt Request #2

Request: 7 and 24 for Steve x Reader

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

It had been nearly a year since you had last seen Steve.

The last time you seen him, he was about to leave to go find his old friend, Bucky. He had been searching for years, with the help of Sam, Natasha, and Wanda, and he had finally gotten a lead. You had wished him well and told him to bring Bucky home so you could finally meet him.

Weeks passed and you didn't hear anything from Steve. No calls, no texts, no anything. You soon found out it was because Bucky was set up for setting off a bomb and killing the king of Wakanda, which led to Steve become a fugitive.

You spent the whole year in so much pain and sadness. The last message you received from before his phone was disconnected was him explaining that he was going off the grid and couldn't contact you in order to keep you safe, but he still loved you and he always would. You would read that message every night, and look at pictures and watch videos, wishing Steve could be here with you once again.

A year came and passed and you had fallen into your new routine; wake up, eat breakfast, go for a run or work out, go to work, come home, eat dinner, watch TV, then bed. You had just gotten home from a long day at work, you were ready to take a nice hot bath and relax, but you couldn't help but feel weird. There was someone in your house, you could feel it.

You grabbed your bat that you had for such cases and made your way through the dimly lit house. You moved to the living room, which was in complete darkness. You groped the wall till you found the light switch and turned it on. You raised your bat over your head, ready to swing, until you noticed the person sitting on your couch.

He had changed a lot; somehow managed to get bigger, his hair turned darker, he had a bigger beard. But you'd recognize those eyes anywhere. Those big blue eyes looking at you, making you weak in the knees.

You dropped your bat and covered your mouth.

"Steve?"

Steve stood quickly. "(Y/N)."

Neither one of you really knew what to say or do. It had been a year, how do you just reconcile after a year of being apart, of not knowing where the other was or if they were dead or alive.

Steve decided to make the first move, advancing towards you with his arms out to hug you. Before he got close enough, you hit him across the face.

"Ow!" he exclaimed, holding his cheek. "What was that for?"

"I don't know," you admitted. "It seemed like the right thing to do. Steve, it's been a whole goddamn year since I've seen you! I'm not mad, but what the actual fuck?!"

Steve shushed you. "Listen, I get it. I can't just walk in here and try to act like everything is okay - "

"You sure as hell cannot!" you agreed.

"I owe you an explanation," he continued, ignoring your outburst. "You deserve one."

So, he began to explain. He told you about Bucky going back to cryogenic sleep in Wakanda, about him breaking Sam and Wanda out of the prison and both of them basically becoming fugitives with him. He told you about his fight with Tony, the end of the Avengers, and his time on the run.

He apologized profoundly for leaving you, telling you it was the hardest decision he had to do.

"I just couldn't put you in danger like that," he told you. "If anything happened to you because of me, I don't know what I'd do. The last thing I wanted was for you to get hurt, or into any sort of trouble because of me. (Y/N), baby, I'm so sorry...please forgive me?"

You were so in shock you didn't know what to say. You still couldn't believe Steve was sitting here in front of you. You were convinced that you were going to wake up at any moment and this would all be a dream.

You cupped his face in your hands, as if trying to convince yourself he was real. Those eyes, those blue eyes that you adored, that you loved with your whole heart, that you missed more than everything. They looked at you, searching for forgiveness. They looked tired, as if he hadn't truly slept the whole year he was gone. They were ready to come home.

You leaned forward and pressed your lips to his. He relaxed into the kiss immediately, wrapped his arms around you and holding you close to him. You wrapped your arms around his neck, wanting to remove any space between the both of you. You never wanted to let go, you wanted to keep him in your arms forever.

When you finally pulled away for air, Steve took you in his arms and placed you on his lap. You hugged him close, keeping him there, making sure he didn't disappear ever again.

After a few moments of silence, you broke it to ask, "So, is the beard gonna stay?"

Steve chuckled. "It might, if you like it."

"Oh, I like it a lot."

"Then it's staying." He kissed you again, then added, "And so am I. I promise, (Y/N), I'm never leaving you again."

Dedicated to ArtemisTheodoradis