#20. Highway Don't Care » Steve

(Based on the song Highway Don't Care by Tim McGraw and Taylor Swift)

Steve watched as Xantha jumped into her car and drove off. He was so mad at himself starting that fight. He knew he started it, but at the time, he just didn't want to admit it.

It started off when Steve got home from another busy day with S.H.I.E.L.D and the Avengers. Xantha told him that she missed him around the house and that's how the fight started. It ended with Steve foolishly telling Xantha he hated her and having her drive off.

Steve stood there, staring out the window as Xantha's car drove off and disappeared. Why hadn't he stopped her?

Xantha drove in her car. She didn't know where, but she needed to get away.

Tears were streaking down her cheeks. She could barley see through the blur they were leaving. She tried to keep her mind off what happened. It only made her cry more. Of course, the radio wasn't helping. One of those love songs was on.

Steve raced for his phone. It was more old fashioned as he wasn't completely used to the new technology yet. He quickly texted Xantha

"Please come home. I can't live without you baby"

Xantha glanced away from the road for a second to read the text. The tears fell faster. She tried not to think about turning around. She needed to stand her ground. She needed time to think.

She replied: "Why?"

Steve had his head against the wall, tears filling his own eyes. He read the text over and over, unsure of how to reply. He had so many reasons why she should come back, but with his lack of knowledge for technology it would take forever to type and she could be far too gone by then.

He sent: "The highway don't care if you're coming home, but I do"

Xantha heard her phone go off. She reached over to the passenger seat, only to find that it was gone. Trying to keep her eyes on the road and find her phone, she reached down a bit. Her attention was diverted for a second, but that second meant everything.

She didn't see the light turn red. She didn't see the cars in the intersection beginning to move. She only heard car horns, then a crash, then silence.

Steve rushed to the hospital when he heard. All he wanted was for Xantha to be okay. To be able to hold her in his arms once again and apology for the fight. He didn't want his words to be how she remembered him.

Luckily, Xantha survived the crash. Steve was aloud in to see his girlfriend. She was cut and bruised badly and would have to be in a wheelchair for the first few weeks, but to him, she never looked more beautiful.

"Xantha," he breathed. "I'm so sorry."

"So am I," she croaked.

Steve was quick to hug her. She winced in pain, but hugged him back. Both of them were crying. Neither wanted to pull away.

Xantha pulled away first. She wiped her tears and said, "I guess you were right. The highway doesn't care."

Steve smiled and added, "But God knows I do."