#69. The Rescue » Steve (part 3)

After the super cringy Star Spangled performance, followed by the terrible reaction of the crowd, I decided it was time to enact my plan. I found Steve sitting away from the rain under a tent while his back up girls and his "manager" were off preparing for the next show.

"That was...an interesting show," I said.

Steve jumped and turned to look at me. His eyes widened. "Riana?"

I smiled. "Hello Steve. How are you?"

Steve stood and moved as if he were about to hug me or something, but then stopped short. "What are you doing here? I didn't realize you were a military woman."

"I wasn't when we met," I told him. "But...I don't know. You sort of inspired me."

"I never thought I'd see you again."

"Well, I guess you shouldn't doubt anything."

Steve looked at me for a moment. He had gotten so big! He stood at least a head over me now, the exact opposite of our date. He was, for a lack of better words, ripped. He looked like he could squish me just by poking me. And, with this in mind, I wrapped my arms around his smaller waist.

I could feel his heart beating rapidly under my ear as he hugged me tightly, starting to relax.

"I'm glad to see you," I told him, and I was being honest. It may have only been a couple of seconds for me, but in those seconds I had found myself dreading having to leave Steve and going to look for him again. Even if I was moving in time to the exact location he would be in.

Don't get too attached, I had to remind myself. This isn't your time period. Once you finish your mission, you'll have to leave him.

Ow. There's a pain in my chest. It's my heart breaking.

"So," Steve said, pulling away from the hug. "You, uh, saw the show, huh?"

"I did," I said. "Lovely song. It may be stuck in my head for a while."

"Yeah," Steve said, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. "I had to improvise a little bit. The crowds I'm used to are usually a little more...twelve."

I chuckled. "I bet twelve year olds are better to perform for. They tend to like whatever is put in front of them. And they don't tend to have the best throwing arms."

Steve smiled and shook his head. "Whoever thought this was a good idea is obviously out of their mind."

I opened my mouth to respond when the sound of heels drew mine and Steve's attention to someone entering the tent. I tried not to look too starstruck when I came to learn that the person approaching us was none other than Peggy Carter herself.

"Captain Rogers," she addressed Steve with a small smile before turning to me. "Agent Jannat, they need you over at the medical tent. They've just brought back more soldiers from the 107th mission."

With a snap of my fingers, I had managed to put the memory of myself in the minds of everyone on the military base. So, as far as all of these actual military people knew, I was one of them. They had no real memories of me, but they knew that I was there and I was important.

I must repeat, I do feel bad about this. I was putting myself somewhere I knew I did not deserve to be. But I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for Fury, and for Steve. Mainly for Steve. I wanted him to live a long and happy life. I just had to keep reminding myself of this every time I felt guilty.