#12. Double Date » Colin

I stood waited for my sister, Ally. Ever since Ally started dating Jake Adams, she had been happy and she wanted to share that happiness with me. So, Ally planned a blind double date. It would be her and Jake and she was pairing me up with her neighbor, Colin Shea.

I, however, didn't like the idea. The last 3 blind dates I had ended in disaster. Either the guy was a total dud, a douche or they bailed on her halfway through the date because they didn't like me. I didn't doubt that Colin would be any different.

Finally, Ally, Jake and Colin arrived. Ally and Jake were dressed as if they were going on a date, but Colin was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. That was okay because so was I.

"Kerry," Ally said and threw her arms around me. "You look nice."

"Thanks. So do you," I said. "This must be Colin that you've told me so much about."

"That's me," Colin said and shook my hand. "Ally talks highly of you, too. Glad to be able to put a face to the name."

"Same here."

The four sat down. Ally and I sat next to one another with Colin and Jake sitting across from us, respectively.

"So, Kerry," Jake said. "I haven't seen you since Daisy's wedding. How have things been?"

I shrugged, "Things have been things. I got this new apartment, a new job that doesn't suck. My boss is actually nice and the moneys good. Well, good enough for me. Oh yeah, and the last three blind dates Ally set me up on sucked ass."

Ally gave me a scolding look as Colin was sitting across from me, but I ignored her. Colin didn't seem very interested. His head was in his menu. He wasn't speaking or even making eye contact for that matter. Sign of a great date (note the sarcasm).

We ordered our meal and began to eat. Ally and Jake tried making small talk between Colin and I, to no success. Colin would answer in one word answers or comments and I just wasn't up for talking. This date was a disaster, just like the other three Ally has set me up on.

Halfway through our meal, Colin got up.

"Where are you going?" Ally asked.

"Bathroom. Wanna come?" Colin replied, rather rudely, before walking off. I let out a sigh and dropped my utensils.

"I'm going out for some fresh air. I'll be right back," I declared and walked out of the restaurant.

Outside of the restaurant was a tree planted in one of those concrete block things. I jumped up onto the edge and crossed my legs as I waited. And, just as I suspected, Colin came around the corner, ready to walk away.

"Bathroom window," I said loud enough to stop him in his tracks. "That one's new. Usually, my dates just get up and leave."

Colin sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.

"I'm sorry. It's just that I didn't really want to go on this date in the first place. Ally was kinda...forcing me," he explained.

"Same here. She wants me to be 'as happy as her'. She's set me up with three guys before, three of them being her exs."

Colin laughed. "No way. Which ones?"

"Rick, Tom and Jay. Rick was a douche. Once he found out who I was, he left mid-date leaving me alone and with the bill. Tom was gay and a pity date because Ally told him so much about me. Jay was kinda nice, but not my type." I paused and eyed Colin. "Are you one of Ally's exs? Cause those dates don't work for me."

Colin laughed again and pulled himself up next to me. "No. I'm not an ex. I'm just her neighbor. Actually, I helped her find all her exs."

I raised an eyebrow. "And why would you do that?"

"Have you heard of the number?"

I nodded. The number. It's the number of people you've slept with. My number: 0. That's right. I'm still a virgin.

"Well, Ally read this thing that said that a woman who sleeps with more than 20 men are less likely to get a husband or something and since she didn't want to sleep with another guy, who went back looking for the right ex. Looks like that ex was Jake."

"Looks like it," I agreed, looking back over my shoulder into the restaurant. "Just out of curiosity, what's your number?"

Colin shrugged. "Too many to count."

I opened my mouth in surprise. "Man whore!"

"I am not a man whore! I just like to explore my sexual...preferences."

"Man whore," I coughed.

Colin laughed and playfully pushed me. Well looky here. A blind date going right. Even though it's not really a normal date anymore.

"What's your number?" Colin asked. I looked down at my lap, too embarrassed to tell him. "Ah, that high huh?"

"No," I said, shaking my head. I felt my cheeks grow warm as I told him, "Zero."

Colin leaned forward in surprise. "What'd you say?"

"Zero."

"One more time."

"For God sake, Colin, I told you twice! How many more times do you want me to say it?!" Colin put his hands up in surrender. I let out a sigh to calm myself down. "Unlike my sister or you, I'm not one to sleep around. I'm waiting for that right guy to come in my life and so far, that isn't working."

"Well," Colin said and hopped down from the concrete block...thing. "How about we ditch this snooze fest, go back to my apartment and have a more fun date. Nothing sexual, unless you want it to be."

"Sounds like fun, but what about Ally and Jake?"

"Jake's got a lot of money, he can pay."

I laughed and jumped down. "Count me in."

So, Colin and I went back to his apartment. We hung out, watched movies and TV, talked for a bit, ignored all phone calls and texts from Ally. And before the night ended, my number went from 0 to 1.