#56. Fighter » Frank

*Frank is from Gifted in case y'all didn't know*

I arrived just in time to save Frank from burning not only his and Mary's dinner, but also his whole house.

"I suck at cooking," Frank sighed. Mary, who was sat at the dinner table doing homework, giggled. "Hey, quiet you. I'm the one who makes your food, remember?"

I scrapped the burned food into the garbage and threw the pan into the sink, running cold water over it to cool it off, and to rinse off any food still stuck to it.

"What were you trying to make?" I asked.

"I don't know, some shit from a box," Frank replied. I rolled my eyes. "Look, you're here now, please help me make dinner."

This was a usual occurrence.

Frank was one of my closest friends. Ever since he gained custody of his niece, he had been calling me over to help him, whether it was making dinner, helping her go shopping, doing her hair, etc. I almost expected a call every day from Frank.

Recently, he was even more exhausted and in need of help. He was currently in the middle of a custody battle for Mary against his mother, and Mary's grandmother, Evelyn. I had arrived once in the middle of an argument, only to have Evelyn shout profanities at me, too. Just for the sheer fact that I had been helping Frank raise Mary.

I walked over to the cupboard and grabbed a box of Kraft Dinner. Kids love Kraft Dinner, and it's the easiest thing to make.

I grabbed a pot and started making it. Over my shoulder, I said to Mary, "Hey kid, mind cleaning up your homework and going to get ready for dinner?"

Mary nodded and grabbed her books before running for her room. I looked over at Frank as I stirred the noodles and cheese in the pot. He was leaning against the counter, looking down at his feet.

"How's it going?" I asked.

Frank ran his fingers through his hair and let out an exasperated sigh. "Shitty. Really shitty."

I nodded, but didn't say anything. I tried not to press on the top recently. It had been stressing Frank out so much, and it was better to not stress Frank out. He needed to have a clear head for this whole thing.

I didn't want him to lose Mary. He had been doing a good job at raising her, even without my occasional help. Just because he wanted to give her a normal life, despite her being a "gifted child", didn't mean he deserved to have her taken away.

"My lawyer wants me to make a deal," he sighed. "to put Mary in a foster home with a foster family. I'd get visitation rights, but - "

"But she'd still be taken away," I finished for him. Frank nodded. "Are you gonna take it?"

Frank shrugged. "I have no idea. If I don't, Evelyn has a chance of taking Mary from me. If I do, she'll still be taken but at least I'll still see her."

I don't say anything. I don't want to be overstepping my boundaries by saying what I really think about Evelyn, she's a bitch. She's a self-centered, snobby bitch. She's only thinking about her own good, not Mary's. And because Mary is still so young, she doesn't really have a say in this trial.

I stir the pot some more, the smell of cheese starting to fill the small kitchen. Frank was rubbing his temples, something he did when he was tired, both physically and mentally.

I turned down the heat on the stove and moved to stand in front of Frank. I took his hands in mine and made him look at me.

"Frank," I said. "you are the best parent to Mary. Whatever Evelyn could say against you, I have a billion things to say for you. You know I said I'd testify if need be."

"Yeah, and then Evelyn will tell everyone that I've been turning to you for help," Frank sighed. "You've really been perfect, you know. You never had to help me with any of this."

I smiled and wrapped my arms around Frank's neck, looking up at him. Curse him and his 6 foot-ness, and me and my 5'5-ness.

"But I wanted to," I told him. "I love Mary. She's the sweetest little girl I've ever met. And, without a woman in this house, you needed all the help you could get."

Frank chuckled and playfully pushed me. With my arms still wrapped around his neck, the push only lead to us being pulled closer together. We were still laughing a little when I realized how close we were. Nose to nose, lips just inches apart.

Frank wrapped his arms around my waist. At the same time, we pulled each other closer together and our lips collided. It was an impulse thing, but it definitely was not a bad thing. Our old classmates used to tease us about the "sexual tension" between us. We used to joke that we were more like brother and sister. I guess that's gone out the window now.

I pulled away from the kiss first, resting my forehead against Frank's.

"You're a fighter," I told him. "So is Mary. You're both going to get through this. And I'm going to be by your side until the end."

Frank smiled and hugged me tightly. I gave him a little squeeze and kissed his cheek as Mary ran back out and sat at the table again. I turned back to the Kraft Dinner, which was now all ready. I put some in three bowls and set them on the table.

Mary dug in quickly, while Frank and I just picked at ours. Frank kept throwing glances at me from across the table. I felt my cheeks heat up as I quickly looked away. Frank chuckled and I shoveled more Kraft Dinner into my mouth.

"Hey, (Y/N)," he finally said. Both Mary and I looked up at him. "How about I take you out to dinner when this is all over?"

Mary looked over at me, her eyes full of hope. The heat in my cheeks had escalated. I couldn't contain the smile that was breaking across my face.

"I'd love that," I replied.