#62. Found » Steve (part 2)

Another year passed and things had changed more than ever. There were more people in the Avengers headquarters, more recruits they had picked up along the way. The team grew and evolved heavily.

Steve hadn't completely shaken his funk, but he knew he couldn't pine over Y/N anymore. He knew he had to accept the truth, she was dead and she was never coming back. So he put his energy into training and helping the newbies.

He was in the gym with Sam on one specific day, practicing some boxing, when an alarm rang out throughout the building. The two jumped and covered their ears, wincing at the noise.

"What the hell is that?!" Sam asked.

"The hell if I know!" Steve called in response.

"Intruder alert, intruder alert," announced Tony's new AI, Friday. "All heroes prepare to fight. Repeat, all heroes prepare to fight."

Steve and Sam looked at each other and quickly scrambled to throw off their boxing gloves and to prepare for this intruder. For Steve, it wasn't all that hard. He just needed his shield, which was never too far away. In this situation, it was in the living area. While Sam ran to change into his Falcon wings, Steve raced for the living area for his shield.

When he got there, however, he found that someone else had gotten to it first.

He froze, stunned.

"Y/N?"

Y/N was stood in the middle of the living area, holding Steve's shield against her chest, as if trying to protect herself. Steve had always joked that she was so small his shield could cover half her body, and the way she held it now made it look as though her entire torso was just Steve's shield.

Her eyes were dark with hatred as she glared Steve down. He wasn't sure what to say or do. It had been two years. He thought she was dead, he had let her go. And now here she was, standing before him. Looking as though she was ready to kill him.

He thought it was a dream, or maybe someone was playing a trick on her, until she spoke. It wasn't in English, it was Russian. Steve never understood Russian, no matter how hard Y/N tried to teach him. But at this moment it wasn't that that had tipped him off, it was her voice. Her unmistakable voice. This was his wife.

From behind her, Y/N produced a gun and pointed it towards Steve. He quickly kicked up the nearby coffee table and used it to shield him. And Tony thought I was dumb for suggesting bulletproof furniture.

When he lowered the table, Y/N threw his own shield at her, catching him off guard and knocking the wind out of him. He stumbled, but didn't fall.

Y/N threw away her gun and the shield and started hand to hand combat. She was fast, she was trained to be faster than her enemies. Steve knew this. And he knew he would never be able to beat her like this, if he could beat her at all.

She was getting good hits in. She was catching him off guard left and right, throwing punches and doing moves that she had never done before. She was hitting him until he was in pain and bruised and had blood running from his nose.

Steve also got a few good hits in on her. He had been training, too. He managed to catch her off time a few times, tripping her up, hitting her low, but avoiding her face. Always avoiding her face. He couldn't harm that beautiful face he had fallen in love with.

Y/N was down for a moment. Steve looked at her and took in what he was seeing. His assassin wife, now more the former than the latter. Trying to kill him. But why?

"Y/N, honey, you have to remember me," Steve begged. "Please...I can't have this happen again."

Y/N hissed something in Russian before kicking Steve's feet out from under him. Stunned, Steve had no time to react and fell to the floor. His head hit hard and suddenly, everything was spinning.

He decided to give up. He didn't want to fight his wife. Whatever her motive was, he decided he couldn't fight against it. He just laid there, his head pounding. Y/N stood over him, her gun back in her hand. She glared at him and pointed the gun at his head. Steve, who was close to losing consciousness anyways, closed his eyes and waited for whatever to happen.

As Y/N stared down at him in anger, her finger on the trigger. All it would take was one squeeze and he'd be dead. She'd had the rest of the team left, but without their precious leader they'd be nothing. They were nothing against her anyways. She was tough, she was fierce, and she knew all their weaknesses.

However, she couldn't. Her finger hovered over the trigger, but she couldn't pull it. She just stared at Steve, taking in his broken face as he slowly began to slip into unconsciousness.

And then she remembered.

She remembered his confused face when he ended up in 2011 Times Square.

She remembered being the first person he would open up to, the first person he would trust.

She remembered falling in love with him, slowly and hesitantly at first because she was afraid of how Steve would see her once he knew about her background.

She remembered him asking her to marry him despite how dangerous they both knew it was. But they didn't care. They got married anyways, because they were in love.

The memories came flooding back so quickly it was overwhelming. Y/N dropped her gun and held her head. She closed her eyes and she could see every memory she had ever had with Steve. Y/N opened her eyes and gasped as she finally remembered who she was.

She dropped to her knees next to Steve and quickly put her fingers to his neck. He still had a pulse, but it was slow. Y/N shook her husband, but his eyes didn't open it.

"Come on, Steve," she pleaded. "I didn't hurt you that bad, I know I didn't. Please baby, wake up!"

"Y/N?"

The rest of the Avengers had assembled and were ready to fight, but now they were stood stunned, staring at Y/N and Steve's unconscious body. Tears were now running down Y/N's face as she looked at her friends, the team she had unwillingly left behind, the team she was here to kill.

A sob escaped her lips before she begged, "You have to get him to a hospital! Please, I can't lose him!"

One more part coming soon! Dedicated to MarvelNDcAreBae !