#63. Explanations » Steve (part 3)

Steve was out cold for a few days. Y/N refused to leave his side, but she was also scared about when he would wake up. She was afraid of what his reaction would be. Would he be mad that she had been alive all this time? Would he be scared of her? Would he be angry that she had tried to kill him?

All these thoughts ran through her mind and no matter how much she had thought about it, she still didn't prepare herself for the day he opened those beautiful blue eyes she had fell in love with.

"Y/N?"

She jumped at the sound of her husband's voice. Her heart raced in both happiness and nervousness as she quickly pulled her chair closer to the bed and took Steve's hand in her own.

"I'm right here, baby," she told him.

"Am I dead?" he asked. Y/N chuckled at the response. "You were dead. They declared you dead last year, after you were missing for a year. You went missing two years ago, Y/N!"

Y/N winced at Steve's raised voice. She looked down at the bed, feeling extremely guilty, as she had for days since Steve was brought to the hospital.

"I'm sorry," she said, her voice low.

Steve moved the hand Y/N was holding and and tilted her chin up so that she was looking at him. He didn't look angry, just confused. "Honey, I'm not mad. If anything I'm relieved. I'm so happy you're back. You have no idea how tough these last two years have been. I just want to know, what happened back at that Hydra base? Where did you go?"

Y/N sighed and took Steve's hand in hers again. "I just want you to know that I didn't try to leave you guys. It didn't happen on purpose."

Steve nodded and Y/N decided she had to tell him the truth.

"That day at the Hydra base," she started. "I was with Natasha and Clint. We were fighting these agents and I saw one run off. I told them I was going to pursue and chased after him. Little did I know, it was a trap. The minute I was out of Natasha and Clint's sight, this agent I was chasing after grabbed me and injected me with some sort of liquid that paralyzed me, and eventually knocked me out. They took away my communication device and stripped my uniform of any form of Avengers or S.H.I.E.L.D logos so that I wouldn't remember that I was a part of the team."

She ran one of her hands through her hair, trying to keep back the tears as she remembered the last day she saw not only her husband, but her entire team. The people who had become her family in the past few years, the love of her life, ripped away from her against her will.

"They tortured me," she continued, closing her eyes and trying to erase the memories of the torture from her mind. It was hard as they had did it almost every day, torturing her in various methods until she literally lost her mind and became nothing more than their puppet. "They tortured me to the point of memory loss, which was exactly what they wanted. And once my memory was gone, they fed me this bullshit. They told me I was their 'secret weapon'. They reminded me of my assassin training and told me I had been trained like that to kill bad people, the bad people being you guys. And they told me my mission was to take down the Avengers, making it very clear that I had to kill you before I killed anyone else."

Steve squeezed Y/N's hand in reassurance when he noticed her becoming a bit flustered. She smiled gratefully at her husband and squeezed his hand in return.

"When I finally got it all right - when I fully remembered my training and when I knew my mission - they sent me off. They didn't give me the location because that was one thing I could remember, which I would've questioned if my brain wasn't complete mush." Y/N sighed and shrugged. "And that's it. I ended up on the Avengers headquarter's doorstep, determined to kill you, then to kill the rest of the Avengers. But...the moment I saw you there, close to death, I just...I remembered everything. I don't know what happened or how it happened but it just did. Just in time, too, because the doctors said you were close to death."

Steve took a moment to take in everything his wife had told him. Hydra had taken another one of his loved ones and tried to make them a Hydra weapon set to destroy him. He was angry, but definitely not at Y/N. He was angry at these evil people who just wanted to ruin lives for their own sick gains. He wished he had managed to ruin Hydra all those years ago before he was frozen.

Steve sat up. Y/N tried to tell him to lie back down, that he might still be a bit sore or have some sort of injuries that could be reopened or something, but Steve didn't listen. Instead, he cupped his wife's face and kissed her passionately. Y/N smiled and kissed Steve back. She didn't realize how much she had missed this, even if she didn't remember Steve.

The two kissed for a while, just happy to have each other back again, before Steve had to pull away to lie back down again. He took Y/N's left hand and kissed it before noticing something.

"Your ring it gone," he said.

"So is yours," she retorted, raising an eyebrow at his own bare ring finger.

"Mine is back on my dresser."

"Hydra stole mine."

"Well," Steve said. "It has been two years. You were officially declared dead a year ago, and because of that it means we are technically no longer married." Y/N raised a questioning eyebrow at Steve, wondering where he was going with this. "So, that means I'm gonna have to marry you again."

A small smile spread across Y/N's face. "Are you asking me to marry you again Steven Rogers?"

Steve smiled too and said, "That's exactly what I'm saying Y/N Rogers."

"Well in that case, of course I will marry you again."

Y/N got up and kissed Steve again before settling into the bed next to him and cuddling Steve. Steve squeezed her tightly to him, swearing that he would never let her go ever again. She was his forever, and Y/N knew she would never have it any other way.

I hope this was a good ending! Dedicated to MarvelNDcAreBae