#61. Missing » Steve (part 1)

Steve had met Y/N through the Avenger Initiative. She had been one of the first people he met when he woke from his 70 year long sleep, and she was the one person who truly tried to help him transition to the new world he had suddenly been thrust into. And, even though he knew it was a bad idea, Steve fell for her. Hard.

It took him only two months, and a lot of pressure from Tony, to finally ask her on a date, and only one year to ask her to marry him. They were warned that this would be dangerous, but neither really cared much. Y/N always joked that she loved danger.

"It's cliche," she had said to Steve on their first date. "but 'Danger' is my middle name."

If there was one thing Steve came to learn from being with Y/N, it was that talking her out of going on missions was useless. She had been a S.H.I.E.L.D agent long before she met Steve, and continued to work with them until S.H.I.E.L.D collapsed, then proceeded to join the Avengers with her husband.

Not that Steve really had any worries about her going on missions with them. She was a skilled assassin, trained in the same place as Natasha. In fact, it was Natasha who had saved her and brought her to S.H.I.E.L.D, the same way Clint had done for her. This had come as a shock to Steve when he first found out.

"What's wrong, Rogers?" Y/N had teased. "Didn't think a girl as petite as me could kick some serious ass? Guess you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, huh?"

So, when the team was called, Steve was never too worried. He knew Y/N could take care of herself.

But now he wished nothing more than to have tried to tell her to stay that day. To have somehow convinced her to stay at the headquarters, to sit this one out and let the rest of the team handle it.

But he didn't.

They were infiltrating what they thought was the last Hydra base. After this, Hydra would finally be destroyed. Their agents would be in custody of the Avengers and they would never hurt anyone again.

Steve had gotten separated from the group. He had taken down the final group of Hydra agents and decided to call for his team.

"I think I got the last of them," he said. "What about you guys?"

"Shot a few down," Clint responded.

"Ditto," Natasha added.

"All my ducks are counted and in line," Tony responded. "Banner is de-hulking, but he did very well too."

"All the agents fled when I infiltrated the base," Thor spoke. "It sounds as though you all got the rest of them."

Steve waited a moment for the final voice to speak. When there was nothing, he questioned, "Y/N? What's your report?" There was static. "Honey? Does anybody have her?"

"I don't see her," Tony responded.

"She broke off from Clint and I just after we got here," Natasha spoke. "Said she saw something and was pursuing it. I - I guess I didn't notice that I hadn't heard or seen her since."

Natasha's voice sounded nervous, as if she thought Steve might freak at her for not realizing Y/N had been missing, and part of him really wanted to, but he knew it wasn't Natasha's fault. Y/N was brave, almost to a fault. If she saw something she had to pursue, she was going to pursue it.