#71. The Save » Steve (part 5)

The day finally came, and after a lot of begging (and a little bit of compulsion magic), I finally convinced Steve to let me join him on the mission. It was the first and only one I had asked to join, so obviously it had raises suspicion.

"Why do you want to go on this one?" he asked.

"I want to be a part of the action," I responded. I already had the lie ready, knowing he was going to ask. "I've been sitting out for far too long, Steve. I'm in the army for a reason."

It was a freezing, snowy day. The men and I were lined up, waiting for the train to rush past. One of the men was peering through some binoculars, while two others were listening to an old fashioned (or I guess in this time period just...fashioned) radio that was tuned to hear any and all Hydra messages.

I was stood back pretty far. I didn't want to look over the side. I knew I had to go hurdling down this at any moment and land on a train, but I didn't want to think about that just yet. I had to try to gain the nerves to do this. I couldn't chicken out now.

Bucky approached Steve and looked down at where the train would be coming. "Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone at Coney Island?"

"Yeah, and I threw up?" Steve recalled.

"This isn't payback, is it?" Bucky asked.

"Now why would I do that?"

I chuckled behind the two. "That sounds like an interesting story."

Steve turned around to look at me. He smiled. "I'll tell it to you when this is all over."

I tried not to let Steve see my smile falter. I didn't know if I was going to be here when this was all over. I was seriously considering staying, but I knew I couldn't do that. I had family back home, and friends. I had people who loved me, who would miss me. I couldn't just abandon them.

But then again, I also had people who loved me here.

One of the two men who were listening to the radio spoke up, "We were right. Dr. Zola's on the train. Hydra dispatcher gave him permission to open up the throttle. Wherever he's going, they must need him bad."

At this, the men began to set up their lines. The man watching through the binoculars declared, "Let's get going because they're moving like the devil."

"We only got about a 10 second window," Steve explained. "You miss that window, we're bugs on a windshield."

Wow. That's very comforting.

Another of the team exclaimed, "Better get moving, bug!"

The signal was given and Steve jumped first. I watched as he propelled down towards the train at an incredibly fast speed. I couldn't help but gulp as one of the men passed me my device and I hooked it up to the zipline. Bucky, who was set to go before me, looked at me over his shoulder and chuckled.

"Scared Riana?"

I scoffed and responded, "Of course not!"

But I was. I was absolutely terrified. See, I'm afraid of heights. I hadn't realized how high off the ground we would have to be for this mission. On top of that, we had to propel at an insanely high speed to the train and, if we did it wrong, well...Steve said it best: bugs on a windsheild. Not a comforting thought. I just had to remind myself that this was for Steve, and for Bucky.