#57. My Dad Is A Superhero » Chris

It was Parent Day in our daughter, Kaylee's, kindergarten class. It was that time when all the kids brought in their parent or guardian and they talked about their jobs. Obviously, Kaylee asked Chris to be her parent. It didn't surprise, or hurt me much. Chris was a famous actor. I was just a teacher at Kaylee's school. Everyone knew me, and knew my job. Chris' was much more exciting than I was.

The day of Parent Day, I had a free class while my kindergartners were gone to gym class. Kaylee's room was right next door, so I decided to pop by to see how it was going.

The door to the room was open, so I decided to just peak in, hoping not to be noticed. My fellow teacher friend, Mrs. Norris, nodded to me, and I smiled and nodded back. At the moment, a little boy was up talking about his dad, who was a police officer. His dad was showing off his handcuffs, which amazed the kids. The little boy was smiling triumphantly, as the class clapped and he sat back down.

I caught sight of Chris sitting in the back of the room on one of the too small chairs. He noticed me, too, and gave me a small smile. I smiled and waved back at him.

"Thank you very much, Kyle, and your dad Mr. Johnson," Mrs. Norris said. "Now, who would like to go next?"

"Me, me!" Kaylee exclaims, waving her hand in the air excitedly. I cover my mouth to stifle my laugh.

Mrs. Norris chuckles as well. "Alright. Kaylee, you have the floor."

Chris stands up. The kids turn and look at him as he makes his way to the front of the room. Kaylee was bouncing on the balls of her feet while she waited for her dad. She had a wide smile on her face, showing off her missing front teeth.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" Kaylee announces, slightly dramatic. "I introduce to you, the coolest dad in the world! My dad!" She gestures to Chris, who's now standing behind her. "My dad is a superhero!"

There's a brief silence. It's been a few years since Chris had played Captain America. I totally understood their slight confusion. Since finishing his run as the Star Spangled Man, Chris had stopped dying his hair blonde and had allowed his beard to permanently grow out. There was slight gray sprinkled in his hair and beard, and he was starting to look a bit older.

But still the hottest man I had ever met, obviously.

"Kaylee, sweetie," Mrs. Norris spoke. "Don't you mean your dad is an actor?"

"No," Kaylee said, drawing out the "o". "I mean my dad is a superhero!"

One of the kids in the class snorted. It was Kyle, from earlier. "Superheroes aren't real, they're only cartoons!"

Kaylee looked up at Chris. She was now back on to me, so I couldn't see her expression. I was hoping she wasn't upset. Kyle seemed like a...bad kid.

Chris nodded and held up a finger. "Give me a moment, class."

He started walking towards the door. I caught his arm, stopping him before he could walk too far. "Where are you going?"

"I have a surprise for the class," he responded in a whisper. "Anyone in your room?" I shook my head. "I'm going to change in there. Is that alright?"

I nodded. "Of course."

I noticed then that Chris had a bag with him. He smiled and gave me a quick kiss. I giggled as his beard tickled my face. I had yet to get used to his face no longer being cleanly shaven every other month.

Chris disappeared into my room for a moment. Kaylee's class was murmuring as Kaylee described Chris' adventures, "as a superhero", which was really just the plot of all the Marvel movies he had been in.

Finally, my classroom door opened again. I turned to see Chris standing in his Captain America outfit, looking the exact same as when he used to wear it all those years ago. I smiled.

"You kept it," I said.

"Of course," he replied. "You never know when it comes in handy."

I smiled and stepped aside, gesturing to Kaylee's classroom. Chris saluted me and entered the room. The class gasped and went quiet. I peered in at Kaylee, her face glowing with pride. She turned back to the class.

"This is my dad! Captain America!" she announced.

The class was stunned into silence as Chris stood before them. Even the parents were stunned into silence.

"Hello, everyone," Chris said. "My name is Captain America."

Chris went on to talk about his job as a superhero. He talked about all the times he had saved the world with his pals, and how he eventually had to retire in order to "keep Kaylee safe" from the bad guys. Kaylee's class ate everything up.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see how it ended as my class was returning from gym.

The day went on, and finally, it ended. Chris and Kaylee were waiting for me outside my classroom. Kaylee was excited to tell me how her Parent Day was, obviously not having seen me in the doorway.

"They loved it!" she exclaimed as the three of us walked to the car together, Chris and I holding hands. Chris was back to his normal clothes, with the bag he was using to carry to Captain America costume slung over his shoulder. "All my friends told me I had the coolest presentation! They loved daddy! Everyone did!"

"That's fantastic, sweetheart," I said, pausing to kiss her forehead before helping her into the back of the car. "You do indeed have the coolest dad."

"And the coolest mom," she responded, smiling at me.

"She's not wrong," Chris said, also smiling at me as I got into the front seat. Kaylee definitely had Chris' smile. "And I have the most beautiful wife."

"And I have the most handsome husband."

I leaned over to kiss Chris on the lips again. Kaylee giggled in the backseat before she started telling us all about the other parents who were in. Chris and I shared a look before Chris took my hand and started the car.

I truly did have the best family.