•NINETEEN•

Gabby's POV

"Johnson, you would side with Biggie over Tupac." I joked

I was with my friends Jack Johnson, Lia, and Jack Gilinsky at a small sports restaurant in the city.

I was in the middle of a debate with Jack Johnson about music and hip hop and rap culture since that's something he's very interested in.

As I was talking to Johnson, my phone started to buzz on the table in front of me. It was West Hills Hospital.

"Umm.. I.. Have to take this real quick." I said while hesitantly getting up.

I walked outside of the restaurant and pressed accept.

"Hello, Gabrielle Wright, this is West Hills Hospital calling to tell you that Hayes Grier is in the hospital because he has been in a car accident, and you're his emergency contact."

I felt my stomach drop and my heart stop for a second.

"Wh-What?" I could barley breathe out.

"We have him in stable condition, and--"

"I'll be over there as fast as possible." I cut her off, then hung up.

I sped back into the restaurant and grabbed my stuff.

"Hey, what happened?" Gilinsky asked with a concerned expression on his face.

"I just.. I really have to go." I didn't want to tell them because Jack knows about Hayes and everything would just be really complicated if I didn't give him too much context.

"I'll talk to you about it later." I said.

Hayes' POV

I sped through the dark roads to get back home from the bar.

It feels like I'm in a dream. Everything's so blurry and... Unreal.

I couldn't stop drinking. I needed something to numb the pain.

I've been thinking about her all day, all week, all month.

I feel like complete shit.

It's like nothing gets better for me.

I just want to go home.

All of a sudden the Windows and windshield shattered and I felt the airbag bust open. It all just happened so fast, then everything just went black.

Gabby's POV

I arrived at the hospital and jogged to the front desk.

"I'm here for Hayes Grier." I said, out of breath.

"Room 117." The receptionist answered after searching up something on his computer.

"Ok, thank you."

I ran up to room 117 and when I got there I didn't at all like what I saw.

Hayes was hooked up to all of these machines and had bruises and cuts everywhere, plus his arm was wrapped up and he had a sling.

I slowly walked in the room, honestly scared to be near him because I know I caused this. He could be dead because of me.

I could feel myself literally shaking now. I don't even know exactly what happened. Who hit him, what he was doing, where he was.

I moved the chair that was against the wall next to his bedside and sat down, then hesitantly put my hand on top of his.

I sat there for about five minutes, just caressing his hand with my thumb, thinking about every possible thing that could go wrong, but my thoughts were interrupted when I heard the door open.

I looked back and saw the doctor with a clipboard in her hands and a sympathetic look on her face.

"Are you," she looked on her clipboard "Gabrielle Wright?" She asked.

"Yes." I responded, softly.

"Mr. Grier's seemed to have been drunk driving when he got into the accident."

I felt a burning pain in my chest. I knew I was the cause of this. He doesn't just get drunk, there's always a reason behind it like he's out with friends to have a good time or he's stressed, sad, or mad.

I put my face in my hands and let out a deep breath.

"He seems to have a concussion, a dislocated shoulder, and a broken arm. Do you by any chance know what happened?" She asked.

I shook my head 'no' and turned back to Hayes.

-

I woke up to Hayes' arm moving causing me to pick my head up. I looked up at him to see that he was looking back down at me with a lost stare.

"Gabby?" He said in a hoarse voice.

"Hayes? How do you feel?" I asked with a relieved smile because I'm glad he's ok and he remembers me.

"Terrible. My head hurts, my arms hurt. Everything hurts. What happened?" He asked.

"You got into a car accident. Do you remember why?" I asked and he slowly nodded his head.

"Why? What happened?" I asked.

"I know you hate me, and I get why, but I'm still in love with you. I love you so much it hurts, and right now, that's quite a literal thing to say. I was just so sad. Seeing you with another guy made me feel like nothing because that's what I am without you. You keep me on track and focused, but at the same time are someone I can relate to and laugh with. In high school when I was failing my classes, you were the only thing that motivated me to do better because I wanted you to be proud.. No matter how dumb that sounds. So, I did get drunk and drive. I admit it. It was stupid to do, but at the same time I kind of just wanted to die."

"Hayes, please don't say that. I don't want you to think that," I looked down at his hands "You mean a lot to me. I know I don't show it, but if you died today, I would never be able to forgive myself." He looked down at me "But you didn't--" "Yes I did. I never gave you a second chance. Maybe I was overreacting a little bit, and I know you mean well."

"I never meant to hurt you and I'm so sorry for everything wrong that I've done. I really am. I didn't mean to violate your privacy like that and then act like it wasn't a big deal." He said, full of shame.

"You really are beautiful," he played with a strand of my hair "I hope the next guy loves you as much as I do. You deserve it." He gave me a weak smile.

I contemplated what I was about to say, not
Realizing how much if later regret asking him this question.

"Hayes?" I asked.

"Hmm?"

"Would you like to go on a date with me after you get out of here?" I asked impulsively.

"Really?" He asked, surprised.

"Yes, I'm willing to give you one more chance, but this is it. If you show me that you haven't actually changed, it's over." I tried to sound as assertive as possible because I really did want to see if he'd changed or not. Plus, I need all of this creepy stalker shit to end. And even though it sounds stupid, maybe it will if I at least act like I'm interested again.

The thought of re-establishing a relationship with him that could at least go back to us being on speaking terms seemed like a good idea in my head because it didn't include his obsessive behavior.

"Let's do it." He smiled.

It could be like a new start, but instead as partners, we can try being close friends. I feel like as long as we're close again, we can avoid these problems.

-

I know y'all are mad as FUCK. But please bear with me, I promise it gets better lmaooo

(I noticed people deadass dipped after they read this chapter but it's all just apart of the plot, I swearrrr)