•FORTY-EIGHT•

As I sat in the car with Jack, on our way back to LA from Chicago, I felt relieved to go back home. As much chaos as we were running from, I missed our friends and normal routines. I really enjoyed myself, along with Jack's company, but I feel hopeful for wherever this goes.

I looked over at him with my tired eyes and his eyes were locked on the road. One hand was on the wheel and the other was on my thigh.

"Jack, how much longer do we have?" I asked, my voice was raspy.

"Only about a couple of hours." He chuckled and slightly gripped my thigh a little more.

Hey baby, how are you doing?- Unknown

"How many times do I have to block this boy." I muttered under my breath

"Hm?" Jack hummed as he glanced over at me, to my phone, then back down at the road.

"I'm just talking to myself."

"You can tell me, I have a strong feeling I know who you're groaning about."

"It's Hayes." I turned off my phone and laid my head back.

"Well, what'd he say?"

"He just said hi and asked how I'm doing."

"He's probably just messing with you. He wants a reaction."

"He keeps changing his number after I block him."

"Then change yours." He suggested

"I haven't gotten a chance to."

"Well, when we get back home, we can go to the Sprint store or something to get you a new number."

"Ok." I sighed "Jack?" I asked.

"Hm?"

"Are you scared?"

"Of what?" He chuckled.

"Hayes."

"No, baby. Why would I be?"

"Cause he's crazy."

"I personally think he didn't do any of those things. Maybe it was a set-up." He shrugged.

"A set-up? You think Mackenzie's 'suicide' was a set-up? Like she's not actually dead? Because that funeral seemed pretty real to me."

"No, no, no, I mean the whole Cam incident and stuff. Maybe it was just to scare you into being with him."

"Then what about Mackenzie and Sam?"

"Coincidence?"

"Forget it."

"I don't know what you want me to say."

"You don't have to say anything." I laid my head back down and closed my eyes.

"No, I obviously do. I'm not letting you go to sleep mad at me, tell me how I can fix this."

"You can't. Hayes is crazy and there's nothing you can really do about that."

"Call the police?"

"I have."

"Well, I'll protect you then. I'm not going to let him him fuck with you while Im around." He rubbed his hand up and down my thigh.

"Thanks, Jack, but I don't want you getting involved in this." I smiled.

"Well, that's too bad because I already am."

"I'm telling you it's fine." I slightly laughed.

"Well, obviously it's not. If this whole situation is bugging you so much, I should be able to help you."

"I really don't want you getting hurt." I told him.

"I know, but–"

"Jack, you have nothing to prove or fix. I'm just a little shaken, that's all," I cut him off "A lot has been on my mind lately and I need to just sit down and relax. You're probably right anyways. Maybe he was just messing with me or I'm crazy or whatever."

He let out a sigh, and shook his head while looking back at the road, obviously not buying what I was saying. I appreciate the fact that he wants to look out for me, but at this point I can't risk getting other loved ones, or even strangers, involved with this situation.

✨✨✨

Y'all, I've gotten to the point of the book where I'm hellllaaaaa excited for so expect more chapters soon‼️