•TWENTY-ONE•

The Next Day

Hayes and I were at his house, sitting on his couch, watching a movie.

I was going to ask Jack if he wanted to come to the movies with me, but Hayes called before I could text him.

"Hey Hayes?" I asked.

"Hm?" His eyes were still glued to the TV.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, anything."

"While we were broken up, were you really spying on me?" I asked.

He looked over to me and let out a sigh "I'll admit, I did follow you into Smoothie King, but that was just to.. Check on you." I could tell there was a lie in there but I just decided to go with it.

"Oh." I slowly nodded my head

"Can I ask you something?" He asked.

"Sure."

"Did you and Jack have feelings for each other... While we were broken up?" He had a more serious look on his face.

"N-no." I stuttered because I know I'm lying. I don't know how Jack felt, but I know my feelings.

"Why'd you stutter then?" He asked, obviously not convinced.

"I don't know, but I do know that we don't and never will have feelings for each other." I turned back to the TV.

"...Let me see your phone." He pointed to my phone on the coffee table.

"What? Why?"

"You've been seeing him a lot, and I don't know if I can trust him." He shrugged.

"Trust hi– why can't you trust me?" I asked honestly really offended because I'm not the one who roofied anyone's drink.

"I know him. He was a flirt in high school so why wouldn't he be now?"

"Okay, so? People change, and I don't see him as flirtatious." I crossed my arms over my chest

"Just give me the phone." He raised his voice.

"You want to go through my phone because you think I'm cheating on you? I wouldn't have gotten back together with you after all of that shit just to fucking cheat on you!" I nearly yelled.

He rolled his eyes at me and turned back to the TV.

"Ya know what, here. Please take it. Look through my Instagram, Twitter, Snap Chat, Messages, recent calls, pictures, whatever the hell you want to look through. Take your time." I tossed him my phone.

He took ten minutes to look through everything then handed me my phone back.

"I think I'm just going to leave." I said while getting up from the couch.

"Seriously?" He asked annoyed "Yes, seriously. I'm really done with you right now." I admitted and he let out a sigh in exasperation.

"Look, I'm sorry–" he softened his tone.

"K." I said while slipping on my shoes and grabbing my jacket then started walking to the door

"Gabby, wait a minute." I heard him get up from the couch.

I began to open the door and before I could get it halfway open Hayes' hand closed it shut.

"Hayes, what are you doing? Just let me go home." I rolled my eyes while turning to face him.

"No, not until you talk to me."

"Ok, what do you want me to say? I forgive you for everything bad you've done to me because we're back together?"

"No, I just want you to stop being so mad all the damn time." He groaned.

I looked at him for a second, amazed at the words that just came out of his mouth. 

"Hayes, I'm tired and I want to go home. Let me go before I say a few words you don't want to hear." I rubbed my temples while turning back to grab the door handle.

"What? That you're cheating on me with Jack behind my back?" He asked.

"No!" I turned around towards him. "The fact that you're an inconsiderate little asshole who only thinks about himself," I said while poking his chest with my finger "And you always feel like the world revolves around you. If you're having a bad day, suddenly everyone has to; if you don't get the attention you want, you get mad; if something doesn't go your way, you get mad. How am I supposed to be okay with that?" I raised my voice.

"Because you're supposed to love me and put up with me the same way I put up with you and your fucking attitude."

I turned right back around and before I could even touch the door knob I was pulled back to him by my wrist.

"Hayes, let me go home. I'm serious." I was about to snap.

"No—"

"What the fuck do you want from me? Let me go!" I tried yanking my arm away from him

"No, Gabby. Will you fucking relax?"

"Hayes, I'm so tired and I really, really want to go home. Can I call you first thing tomorrow and talk to you?" I softened my tone.

"Promise?" He asked.

"Yes, I promise, now let me go." I was itching to get out of his hold.

"Give me a kiss first." He said sternly.

I let out a sigh then pecked his lips, and I felt his grip around my wrist loosen up.

I opened the door without another word and walked out to my car.

Non-controlling my ass.