•THIRTY-SIX•

I woke up with the sun shining in my face and "Doubt" by Twenty-One Pilots playing on the radio.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up in my seat "Hey, Sleeping Beauty." Jack smiled

"Is that just what you're gonna call me now?" I asked with a small smile

"Yep. It suits you well." He said

"Thanks," I slightly laughed to myself while playfully rolling my eyes.

"Where are we now?" I asked while resting my head on the window

"Arizona, about to enter New Mexico." He yawned

"Where are we going again?" I asked

"Chicago."

"I haven't been there in so long." I also yawned.

"Was the last time you went when we went to Chicago for a class trip?" He asked while looking over to me with a smile.

"I think so. Maybe... I just remember having a bomb ass crepe the last time I was there." I said and he laughed.

"How long is it gonna take to get there?" I asked

"Um.. About two days." He said

"Two days in a car?" I asked

"Yes, but we'll stop at a hotel and the trip be worth it, I promise." He said

"Jack, I forgot my phone." I groaned

"No, I got it." He shifted in his seat and pulled it out of his back pocket

"Thank God for you." He handed it to me.

I looked at the phone and thought about Mackenzie's "Hey, did you grab my backpack?" I asked

"Yeah, it's in the seat behind mine." He said

"Jack, I miss her." I looked down at my hands

"I know," he sighed while putting his hand on my thigh.

"I really hate Hayes for doing that." I muttered.

"Hey, let's make a deal." Jack said

"What's the deal?"

"You can't mention Hayes this entire trip. You even have to refrain from thinking about him."

"Jack, I'm serious. I know he–"

"I know you think he did all of that stuff, but he didn't. You're ok. We're going on a nice, relaxing vacation in a beautiful city."

"Ok, fine." I muttered while slightly rolling my eyes.

"I promise, this is gonna be a whole lot of fun."

I wanted to show him the phone and everything, but I know he'd be upset and ask me where I got it from, then get even more upset when I tell him. 

"Jack?" I asked.

"Hm?" He hummed

"Give me five minutes to rant about him, that's the only way I can forget about him."

"Two minutes." He tried to negotiate

"Three."

"How about two and a half." He chuckled

"Two minutes and forty-five seconds." I crossed my arms

"Ok, fine." He smiled.

Jack grabbed his phone from his pocket and put his phone on alarm for three minutes "I'll just stop you when it hits 2:45." He said then started it.

"Ok, I know Hayes did all of this, don't ask me how I know, I just do. Like, everyone is on his side apparently because they think I'm obsessed with him—"

"Technically, you are." He interrupted

"No, I mean, they think that I'm obsessed with him like I wanna get back together or something when I really don't. I broke up with him. If I broke up with him, would I still wanna get back together? Hell no. I just want justice for my best friend and whatever that other guy's name was, and to make sure that he doesn't bring harm to anyone else. And Jack, I'm just being 100% honest with you, but I think you're next."

"I'm next?" He chuckled

"Yes, this is serious. You can't die, you're all I have left and like my right hand right now. I can't use my left hand for much, unless it's for grabbing something from the fridge or pantry, so that leaves me in a very difficult position."

"Gabby, I promise I'm gonna be fine," he seemed humored by my distress, "especially when it comes to Hayes. What reason does Hayes have to kill me, anyways?"

"Because I've been spending so much time with you and you're a guy! Plus he's–" I was interrupted by the timer going off

"No, wait, I need to finish." I whined

"Finish what?"

"My rant."

"Rant? About what?"

"Hayes." I said, obviously annoyed.

"Who? I don't recall that name. I know about purple haze. Do you mean the drug?" He was acting oblivious.

"Jack." I groaned

"We had a deal." He reminded me

"Ok, fine." He said and I closed my eyes and laid back down in my seat.

I'm going to try my hardest to forget about this serial killer and his illegal actions. 

〰〰〰

Writer's block came outta nowhere and said "Not today, bitch"