Chapter 39

Thanks for the comments and votes!

The next morning, after Kota and Victor had left, I found myself alone, but not for long.

Almost 20 minutes after the guys had left, the door bell rang. Only one person seemed to ever use the bell, but, as I walked to the door, I couldn't imagine him coming here. Especially without the others present too. But as I opened the door, Mr Blackbourne stood there, looking just as perfect as always.

"Good morning, Miss Sorenson. I thought maybe you and I could spend the morning together, if that is agreeable to you, of course."

"Good morning, Mr Blackbourne. Of course it's fine. Please come on in," I replied, stepping out of the way to allow him to enter the house.

As he moved past me, he arm slightly brushed against my mine, causing a slight shock to go up my arm. Seeing me stiffen, he stopped, putting his hand higher up on my arm.

"Everything ok, Miss Sorenson?"

"Everything is fine, Mr Blackbourne."

He stood there, silently watching me for a moment, before stepping back and motioning for me to walk ahead of him. I walked into the living room and settled onto the couch. He followed, sitting on the other end.

We sat in silence. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence, but silence just the same. I had spent plenty of time with the others, except for Mr Blackbourne and Dr Sean.

After a few more minutes of silence, in which I was trying, and failing, to think of something to talk about, he spoke up.

"Miss Sorenson, I wanted to let you know that you can come to me for anything. Whether it has to do with one of the boys or just a question in general, I want you to know that I'm here for you. That we all are here for you. I know that sometimes we can appear to be a bit overwhelming, but I want you to feel free to tell me when we are or when you are in need of help. I will help you in anyway that you allow me to."

I just sat there, thinking over his words carefully.

Why would he want to help me? What could he possibly see in me to cause this reaction?

I was no where near perfect enough for him. I had more flaws than all the guys put together.

Instead of telling him this, I simply said, "Thank you, Mr Blackbourne. I will keep that in mind."

Though he looked doubtful, he didn't comment on it. Instead, he changed the subject.

"Miss Sorenson, I heard that your aunt will be returning in a couple weeks time. While I am glad to hear about you having your aunt back in the house, I feel that you will still be in need of protection. I would like to still have a boy or two to be with you at all times, if that is agreeable to you."

"Like I told Gabriel, I haven't told my aunt about you guys yet. Plus, I don't think she would allow you guys to come over and stay, even knowing about the thief that is still on the loose. I do appreciate your concern, and the others too. I just don't want to get anyone into trouble."

"Miss Sorenson, if I may reassure you, we will do all in our power to keep you safe and stay out of trouble, either with your aunt or the thief. All that I ask is for you to trust us to help."

Looking down at my hands, that I had folded on my lap, I nodded.

"I do trust you, Mr Blackbourne. I trust all of you guys."

I felt fingertips lightly under my chin, then a gentle push caused my face to raise, and my eyes caught his steel gray eyes, getting lost in the moment.

"And I thank you for that trust, Miss Sorenson."

We passed the morning by walking in the woods out back. Mr Blackborne knew a lot about the wild flowers, which surprised me a little. I also learned that he had a garden that he tended, that was mostly roses.

He asked me question after question and I answered him as best as I could. I just hoped that it was enough to satisfy his curiosity.

As we were walking back towards the house, my stomach clinched.

Oh no, not again. Not after last time. Not in front of Mr Blackbourne.

I had, again, forgotten to drink this morning before we began our walk.

I slid a quick glance Mr Blackbourne's way, finding him watching me closely. I should have known that, except for North, Mr Blackbourne would notice the slightest change in my body language.

Come to think of it, the others were just as in tune with me as North and Mr Blackbourne were.

"Miss Sorenson, perhaps we should hurry in our return to the house, to get something to drink. It is rather hot out today."

I gave him a grateful smile, glad I wasn't getting a lecture about forgetting, like North would have done.

As we entered the house, I was barely able to stand straight, hardly able to walk. Mr Blackbourne gently scooped me up in his arms and sat me down in a chair at the kitchen table.

I watched as he warmed up a cup of blood for me, bringing it to me straight from the microwave. I quickly picked it up and blew on it.

As soon as I thought it was safe, I started to take slow sips, until it was cool enough to drink in gulps. I blushed, as I sat the cup down on the table.

Why is it that I have to act so unladylike with Mr Blackbourne present?

Thinking about it, this wasn't the first time it had happened. I let my forehead bang onto the kitchen table, beyond embarrassed now.

All of a sudden, my stomach twisted sharply, unlike before. This one hurt 10 times worse.

"Miss Sorenson, there's nothing to be embarr-"

I jumped up from the table, as I felt vomit rise up my throat. I raced towards the half bathroom that was just down the hallway, but I hadn't even made it a couple of steps before my knees gave out and I fell to the floor.

I heard Mr Blackbourne shout my name, but I was too busy vomiting to answer him.

Don't forget to comment/vote. Thanks! :)