prolouge

There's definitely two types of people in the word - The Realists and The Optimists. I wish I was an optimist but after years of hoping my dream of being an actress would some how come true, I stopped. Only was it when I stopped that I became a better person. Hoping is for the weak but being in a place where you can say "I know I'm not going to get this" prepares you for your travels in becoming an adult. Come to terms with the fact fate isn't always going to be on your side and that if you're knocked down then you might as well get right back up. I fathomed this out on the road to an audition. I knew I didn't have a chance, I was one of the five girls narrowed down for the role - against Elle Fanning, Ariel Winter, Peyton List and Willow Smith! All four girls were very nice and I agree with the producers when they say that hiring me was the biggest risk they'd taken regarding the film. Johnny Depp was later cast as my father and the film went on to win an Oscar for best picture. No biggy. Since then Stan, my agent, has approached me with countless auditions that I've declined, above anything, I want my schooling to come first, but this time was different. The producers of The Walking Dead wrote a character based on me and asked Stan to pass it onto me. I was thrilled, but I did not show it. In Hollywood, your emotions portray your weakest parts. If I was to get excited, he'd think I was too eager. If I was to grin from ear to ear, he'd be devastated for me if I didn't get the part. I took the script from him and thanked him. I ran up to my room and ripped the package off and hugged the script tightly. I flipped it to the second page and there was a little note.

"We're huge fans over here at the studio. Good luck to you and we hope to see you soon."

I smirked and flipped through the script. Cleo was perfect, she was my dream role. I alerted mom and told her I was going to go for the audition and then called Stan up. He promised he'd be back in touch by this time tomorrow. I let it linger in the back of my mind until my father got home. He'd be teaching French and Latin until dinner. It was nice to have a distraction from life. Dinner was ready and the whole family gathered round the table. I sat beside my brothers Reid,15 and little Xander,3. We began to eat when the phone rang. I stood up to answer as mom groaned. She hates it when meal time is interrupted. I checked the called ID. Stan Hicks.

"Hey Stan," I said. I heard faint 'woops' in the background. "Stan?"

"Skye? Skye? You'll never believe it, you got the part! You're Cleo Wade!"

"What?" I yelled. "How can this be? I haven't even auditioned yet!"

"When I finally got through to them, they said that they loved you and knew you'd be perfect for the role. They love you, Skye!" He yelled. "Get your mom on the phone to discuss matters further, you're going to be making $10,000 - $15,000 an EPISODE!"

I ran into the dining room.

"Mom! Mom! I got the part, I got the part!" I yelled. My mom leaped up and hugged me.

"Well done sweetheart, this is great, so, so great! Damon, tell her this is great," Mom said, swallowing her steak and taking the phone, and herself, into dad's office.

"Congratulations Skye, I'm proud of you. This is great, Reid what do you have to say to your sister?" Dad asked.

"Well done, lil sis," he said through his teeth. Reid's always been jealous of my recent sucess . "We're all so fucking proud of the perfect little Monroe, Princess Skye!" He yelled, storming up the stairs and slamming his door. There was a bitter silence as I stood behind dad's chair.

"What was that all about?" I asked.

"It was your brother's dream too kid, it was always his dream," he bluntly replied.

"It's not my fault. I wanted to do it too daddy," I moaned. "I'm the reason he got his first role anyways." I mumbled.

"Have a little sympathy for him Skye, he and Xander don't get near enough the same attention as you do. Pass me the paper." The fact is, the conversation ended there. When my dad asks for the paper, that's the end of it.

Mom soon came back through, bouncing like a kid on caffine. "You need to meet the cast and crew tomorrow 10:30am, so up at 7. Shower and bed, you need your sleep."