rome (part 1)

Chandler left. I wasn't all that bothered, I was used to him dropping in and out by now. We FaceTimed a few times and texted constantly. I felt empty still, none the less, but I was happy. Rome wasn't going to be the same but I was still very excited to do my first con in such a beautiful place. The lineup was Norman, Melissa, Andrew (which was a shock to everyone), Lauren, Steven, Emily, Laurie, David, Brighton and Kyla. Michael Rooker, Irone E Singleton, Robert and Greg were coming on the Saturday. I was so excited to see Laurie again. We arrived to the warmth of 79° and one long bus journey to keep us going.

"I'm drivin'!" Norman demanded, climbing aboard the bus. Mingus looked at me and rolled his eyes.

"Sit yourself down Reedus," Michael said. "I ain't putting my life in your hands."

"I'm driving," Robert tutted, pushing through us all. "Sit where you wish guys. We got a long journey ahead of us."

"Skye?" Brighton said timidly, tapping me on the back. I shot round to her as she stood picking her nail unconfidently.

"Yes," I smiled, looking down at her a little.

"C-can I sit with you on the bus?" she stuttered a little. My face dropped a little, I wanted to sit next to my mom - who at this moment was urging me to agree - or Mingus.

"Of course," I said. The one thing that convinced me was remembering Chandler telling me how much Brighton wanted to get to know me.

We sat down on the bus and I fell asleep (as usual). When I woke up it was dark out and mostly everyone was asleep.

"Hey," Brighton smiled, laying down her magazine.

"Hi," I groaned, fixing my bed head and rubbing my eyes. "Where are we?"

"Robert got us lost," she said, rolling her eyes jokingly.

"I did not!" he yelled from the front of the bus. I stood up to see Dad on the wheel now. He knew his way round Italy very well. Glancing behind me I saw Kyla and Mom, asleep and snuggled into each other. I felt a little jealous to be honest. I wish I was that small again.

"We're going to miss Mel," Brighton said, looking up at me. Their episode was the best by far.

"She'll miss you too," I insisted. "She loves you both like you were her daughters."

"But you're her daughter, right?"

People were still confused. Well, Chad, Sonequa, Lawrence, Michael and all the new cast members were anyway. I nodded and we both giggled awkwardly. There was a silence for a moment before she broke it.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Fire away."

"What's going on between you and Chandler?"

I swallowed my saliva and looked down a little before I opened my mouth. I paused a second. I could tell her all my feelings. She'd understand. She's only two years younger than me. That's not a lot.

"Brighton, I like him a lot," I whispered into her ear. She smiled and nodded.

"I know that" she replied, looking forward. "Everybody does."

I blushed and let the silence returned before I got into it.

"I just," I began. Then, my words joined together into a fluster before I could sigh. "The way he makes me feel is something I know I'll never feel again with anyone else."

"Is it like in the movies?" she asked, leaning forward, intreaged.

"The way they say it is. Like flutters. He makes me feel like I'm the only person that matters."