london calling

'October Break' began this week. We were off to London to promote the show and then up to Liverpool to watch David's performance as Macbeth. Helena, Mingus' mom, wanted Mingus to go back with her for the break so they could go to Copenhagen, where Mingus and Helena were born. Helena was coming to stay in the guest room for a night, then she'd fly home with Mingus the following morning. We too will be flying to London at the same time.

"What time's your mom coming?" Norman asked Mingus who was nervously pacing around the kitchen.

"Two hours," he said. "She said she'd be here Saturday at 1pm."

"Why you so worried?" I asked. He shrugged.

"Ming is a bit of a hypochondriac," Norman said, placing his hand on the trembling Mingus.

"You need to tidy yourself up Norm," I said. He was in his signature outfit. "Go for a shower and Mingus and I will clean the apartment."

"What's wrong with the apartment?" he asked. I looked at the kitchen floor, damp tea towels were on the floor, the bin needed emptied, the dishes were needing cleaned.

"Take a look around," I said. He mumbled under his breath and walked off into the bathroom.

"What is it with that man and not washing?" I asked Mingus, who'd finally calmed down.

"I don't think he's washed since Monday," he said. I walked over to sink and began to run the water. I pour the washing up liquid in the basin as Mingus lifted the lid off the bin and tied the liner in a bow.

"I'm gonna take this to the bin," he said.

"Okay," I replied, pulling my earphones from my pocket. I hit shuffle and Hopeless Wanderer blared into my ears. I washed all the bowls (and believe me, there was plenty of them!) and spoons. I began to wash a plate when a pair of hands crept round my waist. I jumped, startled, as Mingus rested his head on my shoulder, taking one of my earphones out and placing it in his ear. I turned round, his left hand moved slowly to my bottom and the right up my waist. I stood on his foot.

"Ouch!" he cried. "What was that for?"

"Mingus, we can't!" I reminded him. I was getting tired of him doing this now. Norman was officially my dad. "I'm your sister." I turned back to the sink. He stood to the right of me, drying the dishes.

"I know, I just can't help it," he laughed. I turned to him, the sun shone on his his eyes, making them clear as the ocean. He jerked forward a little as he left, his mouth was sitting crooked and crows-eyes dominated the corners of his eyes. I didn't reply to him, I simply unplugged my earphones from the jack and let the music do the talking. He cheekily danced around a little. I ignored him and reached up with one arm to put a glass on the top shelf. He pulled my free arm and spun me around underneath. I laughed as he pulled me into his trance. We finished cleaning the kitchen and I sent him to the living room while I dealt with Norman's room. For someone who despises washing, you can never get him out that damn shower. I put all his clothes in a wash basket and made the bed. I went into the guest room. Chandler and Mingus left the place disgusting. I took the old pizza boxes and soda cans out of the room and put them in the bin. I moved the Playstation and X-Box into Mingus' room and made the bed. Underneath the kitchen sink is where I found everything I'd need. I wanted Helena to think Norman was taking care of Mingus, not living off bowls of cereal. I sprayed the room to take away the scent of teenaged boys and polished the tv. When I was finally finished I dragged myself into the living room.

"You done?" Mingus asked, turning away from the television. I growled at him a little. "You look adorable doing that."

"Shut up," I said, hitting him with my pillow. Norman got out the shower. He was wearing a black shirt tucked into black jeans.