court day / a day in with chandler and mingus (part 1)

The day I dreaded most had fell upon us. The day Norman and Melissa fight to keep me. What if they don't let Melissa and Norman have the shared custody? What if I'm not aloud to live with either of them. All these thoughts swirled around my head at 7am. I couldn't sleep. I got up out of bed and walked into the living room. I sat down on the couch and flicked through the channels. It was all teleshopping. Norman gormlessly stroll by the door and into the kitchen half an hour later. I snuck up behind him and jabbed his sides. He jumped up and screamed like a little girl.

"Jesus Christ on earth," he said, heavy breathing. "Tryna give me a heart attack?"

"Sorry," I laughed, sitting down on the chair.

"Whatcha doing up anyhow?" he asked. "I thought teenagers slothed around until midday."

"Couldn't sleep."

"Worried about today?" he asked, boiling the kettle so he could make himself a coffee.

"A little."

"Me too kid," he said. That was uplifting.

"Oh," I mumbled.

"I don't wanna lose ya," he said. "I don't know what I'll do."

"Did you ask Melissa if I could come to the courthouse?"

"Uh, listen, the two of us think it'd be best if you just stayed here."

"But..."

"No Skye," he sternly said, pouring the coffee.

"I really want..."

"No means no!" he yelled. My face dropped to the ground. His aggression scared me. He was like my dad in that way. "Oh god, I'm sorry. Dammit. Melissa told me not to get aggressive because of your dad and everything." He slammed his fist on the counter.

"I-I-it's okay," I insisted. "It's not like you're going to lay your fists on me."

He kneeled down in front of me chair and held my wrists. Seems to be a mutual love between the Reedus men.

"I'd never do that, okay?"

"Okay," I replied. When you've been traumatised once, you can never trust a person. No matter how much you want to.

"You look sleepy," he said.

"I'm not tired," I childishly replied, without noticing.

"That's what a tired person would say," he teased.

"Do you have something appropriate to wear today?" I asked. He shrugged his shoulders. He used what was left of the milk to fill up his bowl of cereal. "You're unbelievable dad." I covered my mouth like I had swore. He looked at me.

"Did you just?"

I nodded, my hands staying glued over my mouth as teared welled. I wasn't going to do this. I wasn't going to replace my parents, let alone make Norman feel uncomfortable. Norman jumped up and whooped a little.

"I can't believe it!" he said, bouncing around a little. He squeezed me and lifted me by my upper arms. "I didn't want to have the talk to ask you but you called me dad! I can't believe you think of me as a father figure already."

Fuck.

"Hey, uh," I was stuck on what to call him. "Would it still be alright to call you Norman, too?"

"Sure, I don't care! You called me dad, it just slipped out. It means I obviously mean something to you. Don't call me dad. Call me dad. Whatever."

What a guy. He's insane!

"What time's court?" I brought up. He rolled his eyes.

"Skye, you're not going okay?"

"I know. Just curious that's all," I replied, looking in the breadbin.

"9am, need to be out here at 8:30. Case should be over at 3pm. Mel's picking me up." I looked over to the clock that sat above the oven. It was in the shape of a frying pan. The middle was an egg and the hands were bacon. I chuckled as the longer piece pointed vertical and the shorter to 8.

"It's eight just now," I said.

"I know, I know," he said, scratching his stomach.

"You've got to wash, get dressed," I said.

"But I..."

"Nope, shower," I ordered. He got up, mumbled under his breath and slammed the bathroom door behind him. I ran into his room. Underwear. Underwear everywhere. His clothes were piled up in the corner. I pulled open his wardrobe and found two items of clothing. His suit and his Daryl costume. I pushed all the garbage off the bed and lay the black suit down. I dug through the pile and pulled out a white suit shirt.

"Crinkled," I scoffed. I went into the kitchen and pulled over all the drawers before I found the iron. I ironed it quickly and lay it down on the bed. I hoped he'd get the hint. I put bread in the toaster and waited for Norman to come in. Mingus dragged himself into the kitchen. His eyes were all puffy.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Tired," he mumbled.

"Toast?"

"Please." I gave him my two pieces that popped out the toaster. I wasn't hungry anyway. I buttered it for him and threw it on the plate. I poured him some apple juice at lay it down for him. He slept shirtless. He had a good figure. Not overly muscly. He had a slight concave chest and a little bit of a pack going on. He had no shirt on and his shoulder blades teased me as every flinch he made had the bones dancing beneath the skin. I carelessly draped my arms on his collarbones. They were deep and beautifully shaped they were. He looked up at me and smirked. I lay my lips on the back of his morning hair. I brushed it down before I walked away. He tugged me on the wrist and I pushed my free arm on his shoulder so I wouldn't fall onto him.

"Good morning, angel," he said, his arm resting on my side. Oh great, between angel and m'lady, Skye might as well not be my name. He lifted the hand he had firm grip on and kissed it.

"Where the hell is Melissa!" Norman yelled. Mingus let go of my hand. I pretended to be doing something in the fridge.

"Don't you have her number?" I asked. He blushed a little.

"M-maybe, I dunno." I rolled my eyes at him immaturity before calling her. It didn't even make it to second ring before Melissa's soothing voice bellowed down the phone.

"Skye sweetie? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, Norman's wondering where you are that's all."

"I'm running late," she stated.

"As usual," Norman cheekily yelled out.

"Shut it Reedus. Come let me into the complex."

"Tell her I'm just gonna get in on the outside of the gate."

"He says he's.."

"I heard him. How you feeling about today?"

"I don't know," I mumbled.

"We're gonna talk about this at some point," she sternly said down the phone.

"Okay Mel, I love you," I said, trying to get off the phone.

"I love you too."

I hung up and looked over to Mingus.

"Free house," Mingus laughed. "I'll go get Chandler, we'll take you to the pool."

"Pool?"

"Sixth floor. Pretty sweet." He ran off and slammed the door. Damn Reedus' don't know how to shut a door quietly. I leaned on the back of one of the chairs. What am I doing, I thought. He's basically my brother. Plus Chandler and I have our whole I-hate-you-I-love-you thing. I tutted as I started washing my dishes. Chandler and Mingus came bounding into the house. Chandler had only his pyjama bottoms on too, his hair was going in every direction.

"Did Ming just drag you out of bed?" I asked. He nodded, rubbing his eyes.

"Whoever gave the key to my front door to the Reedus house hold must of been on some form of drug," he said. I laughed at him. It wasn't even funny. He smugly sat up straight.

"Go get your swimming trunks on Chandler," Mingus said. "We're gonna show Skye the swimming pool."

Chandler groaned and went back into his apartment.

"Where's his parents?"

"Work. Once a lawyer, the other's a doctor. They work, like, 10-12 hour shifts," Mingus said. "It's like he doesn't really have parents." I curled my lip sympathetically.

"That's awful."

"You gonna go get changed or what?" he asked, getting straight to the point.

"Maybe," I said, biting my lip. I pulled my hair to on side. He leaned in to kiss me but I pushed him off me. "Not now."

I walked into my room. I pulled on my navy bikini that had white birds on it. I tied the back of my bikini and the side if my trunks. I looked at my stomach in the mirror. I shook my head and pulled on a cream throw over sweater that was holed and netted and a pair of shorts. I pulled on my white converse. I went into Norman's room and picked a pair of his collection Ray-Bans. They were the mirror of John Lennon's signature sun glasses. I grabbed my book and sat back down in the kitchen. Chandler came into the house again. He wore swimming shorts with a black and yellow towel over his shoulder.

"M'lady," he greeted, pulling out the empty carton of milk.

"Chandler."

"Where's your bikini, you're getting thrown in, big time," he teased.

"I'm wearing it underneath silly," I said. It went quiet before Mingus finally reappeared.

"You ready?" he asked. We both nodded. Mingus him and I two towels out the bathroom cupboard and I grabbed my book. We took the lift up to the pool, we were on the third floor but it's against the rules to walk through the building without shirts on. It was practically a desolated area. I ran to the end of the area and looked down to the city of Atlanta. Yellow taxi cabs and miniature people painted the perfect image of what Atlanta was really all about. I sat down on a lounger and began to read my book. The boys were straight in, Chandler canon-balling himself into water, making me receive the back lash.

"Hey," I moaned. He cheekily stuck his tongue out and did a headstand underwater. I rolled my eyes and pre-occupied myself. After getting a chapter or two into the book I lay it down on the near by wooden side table and reclined the chair back. Norman was right, I was really tired. I lay back and began to dose off when I felt my ankles being grabbed. I darted up and seen Mingus. Chandler had my wrists and they made their way to the water.

"Don't you dare," I warned, kicking my legs. They didn't care they threw me in and swiftly followed. I seen Chandler's legs hit the ground first. I rubbed my eyes as he came closer to me, grabbing my wrist and pulling me up. I coughed ferociously before hit him.

"It was Mingus' idea," he insisted.

"My hairs wet," I moaned.

"Might as well stay in now," Chandler said.

"Okay," I mumbled. "What time is it?"

"It's only 10," Mingus said, pointing to the town clock which was in eye level with the building. I swam around with them but I wasn't too thrilled to be doing so. I stayed in for an hour before breaststroking my way over to the steel stairs.

"Where you going?" Mingus asked.

"I'm done," I said, wiping my legs with a towel. Chandler looked over to me.

"You know what, me too," he said.

"Aw man," Mingus said, curling his lip, swimming backwards.

"You can stay here Ming, I'll leave the door unlocked for you," I said.

"Okay," he said, getting out. "I'm going for a jacuzzi."

"This place has a jacuzzi?" I asked.

"Yeah and a steam room," he said. "By the gym."

Jeez.

"See ya," Chandler said. I followed him to the elevator. He pressed the button and we waited in silence. I walked along to the house.

"Will you be round later?" I asked Chandler.

"Probably," he shrugged.

"Okay," I replied, unlocking the door.

"Say, Skye," he said. I looked over to him.

"What?" I asked, turning my back to the door as my eyes met his. He hesitated.

"You still have my shirt," he said.

"Oh, uh, would you like it back?" I asked.

"Nah, it's fine, see you later," he hastily replied, slamming the door. I shrugged and jumped in the shower.