new york city

Dad returned home a week ago. I was glad that he was home. I missed him a lot. I decided it'd be best not to tell Chandler what he said in his deep sleep. Mr and Mrs Riggs asked if Chandler could stay with us for a week whilst Mr Riggs continued to deal with his case in Tampa. Norman couldn't say no, he never would. Norman took us (Melissa, Mingus, Chandler and I) out to an Italian restaurant the first night.

"Maybe we could do Lady & the Tramp," Chandler said, nudging me as we entered the car. We drove to the Italian and sat down. We got through the first course before Norman got a phone call.

"Normie," Melissa sternly said. "No calls at dinner."

"Mel, this is important. Excuse me kids."

Melissa tutted a little but we carried on with our meal. Norman was gone for ten minutes before he came back.

"We gotta go," he said.

"But we've not finished dinner," I said.

"I'll get McDonalds, we've got to go," he said urgently.

"What's wrong Norm?" Melissa asked him.

"Some bastards broke into my house in New York."

"That's awful," Melissa said, lifting her hand to her mouth.

"Will you come to New York with me?" Norman asked, lifting her hands up.

"Of course," she said. Norman threw cash down on the metal tray and hurried us out.

"I've never been to New York," I said.

"It's a beautiful place," Chandler said as we climbed into the back of the car. "Might even be a Ferris wheel if we look hard enough."

I blushed as he winked at me a little.

I packed a bag that'd last me a few days. It just had my essentials. We met in the hall, Norman was very pale.

"Are you okay Dad?" I asked. He just nodded as he opened the door. The ride to the airport was silent as they come. He quickly bought us last minute tickets. The flight was only an hour. I sat in between Chandler and Mingus. I managed to catch a nap for ten minutes. I woke up with my head on Chandler's shoulder.

"I'm so sorry," I mumbled.

"It's okay," he smiled. He looked to Mingus, who had his head on the tray, as he slept. "You looked cute."

I pulled the arm rest, that was between us, up and snuggled up close to him so I could see the lights below us. I had my big knitted cardigan on, the sleeves being too big for my arms. He had his arms firmly around me.

"New York is beautiful, I'm surprised you've not been yet," he laughed.

"I had other commitments around the time of Comic Con for Capper. Rachel and Derek wouldn't let me go to the premier."

Instead of referring to my birth parents as 'Mom' and 'Dad' I just went by their first names.

"Who know," Chandler said. "We might get to spend a little time in NYC."

"Only damn time we'll be spending in the City will be clearing up my house and a finding a new one," Norman said, leaning between our chairs. He swiftly put his hands on our faces and pushed us apart. "Fancy doing me a swap Riggs?"

"Dad, we're fine."

"No,no,no," Chandler sighed, un clipping his belt. "It's fine."

Instead of Dad going the proper way, he climbed over the back of chair and hit it with a thud.