Chapter 24 (Envy: A shadow of an Ancient)

Noire's POV

That night I watched over Uni as she slept...

... It was a nightmare; my mind could not erase the scene that I witnessed...

The sight of his monstrous hand crushing a child's head... I know it was actually a monster, but still... his eyes were empty, they had no emotion in them, it was blank like a clean sheet of paper... the blood that splattered... it brought out a feeling of disgust... it was unpleasant...

It was...

Merciless...

*knock*knock*

Noire: "Hm?"

...someone knocked at the door...

Noire: "Who is it?"

Schwarz: "It's me..."

Noire: "..."

...I couldn't respond, my words just got caught in my throat...

Creeeeeeeaaaaaaak.... The door opens with a loud creak, the sound made me flinch in place, my mind panicked for a moment...

Schwarz: "I see you're still shaken..."

Noire: "No I'm not."

...Yes I was... my hands were still shaking... My whole body was still trembling... Schwarz came closer and knelt down to see my face... he slowly raised his monstrous hand towards me.

Noire: "!!!"

...That scene flashed before me again... The fear was so immense that I instinctively raised my arms to cover my face... but...

Noire: "...Huh...?"

...His arm started to change as it got closer to me... and then it turned into a normal human hand that gently ruffled my hair in an effort to calm me down...

Schwarz: "Don't be afraid... you're safe now..."

Noire: "Eh?"

...He was smiling... his eyes showed neither hostility nor anger, and then he slowly raised his other hand towards my cheeks then the hand ruffling my hair dropped to my cheeks too...

Schwarz: "Come on... Smile..."

Noire: "U-umm..."

...He wiped the tears off the corner of my eyes... I was crying? I didn't even notice...

Schwarz: "There we go... You were pretty brave, running in there with a weapon in hand...you and your sister that is..."

Noire: "Thanks... we've fought monsters before and we saved everyone when we do... so seeing you do that to a child... even though I know it was shifter ... I was still shocked..."

Schwarz: "Let me ask you something..."

Noire: "What is it?"

Schwarz: "We've met before haven't we?"

Noire: "H-huh!? Why do you think so?"

Schwarz: "When I saw you both, I had this strange feeling that I've seen you somewhere before, perhaps it was just my imagination?"

Noire: "No... You're right... we're here for a purpose..."

Schwarz: "What purpose..."

Noire: "Well..."