Chapter 39 (Lust: A Promise)

Vert's POV

It was a grim moment for us all, I readied myself for what might happen next, but one of us was too hasty in his actions...

Grun: "Let her go!"

He charged forward with winds raging behind his back, his mask falls to the ground as he shows his merciless expression to the world.

Nothing could describe what he felt... It was something more than fear... More than rage... more than sorrow... he was lost in a blind march to battle.

Grun: "Blow away! Strike air!"

He summons a burst of wind to blast his opponent, but his enemy stood still and simply swung her dagger at the wind...

The blast of air dispersed leaving the enemy unharmed...

EnCodex: "Typical... Men are so simple... they see something they don't like, and they rush to get rid of it... Think of it lord... I am actually doing you a favor here... if the beast disappears, then all of your worries will be gone."

Grun: "What?"

EnCodex: "You can let all the monsters leave the nation and have them live their lives away from humans... You don't need to chain yourself down from the burden of that fantasy that this beast showed you... And as far as I know, humans have more numbers here in your nation... Leave the few and save the many right?"

Vert: "What are you saying!?"

Grun: "...No...She's right... That's how I've always seen things... For the better of the many, I choose to leave the few..."

Vert: "Grun, don't let him manipulate you!"

Is he falling for this ploy!?

Grun: "Don't worry... I am a Lord of Ideals... I have more than one ideal..."

suddenly... the pendant around Emerald's neck shined... It's brilliant light enveloped the dark void...

Grun: "I keep my word, and I always DO!"

Vert: "Grun..."

Grun: "On that night I made a promise to the world... but most importantly, I made a promise... To her...So I'm sorry to burst your bubble I can't have her disappear!"

With a loud roar he goes for the kill.

Grun: (She's the one who showed me that possibility!)

Vert: "!!!"

...His thoughts were flooding into me, I could feel the weight of his words, the very core of his ideals and the very drive that keeps him going... Even after that battle, he still has this much power... Ah!... Ahaha... I see... It's still twisted... he's being blinded by it... But it's that promise... he made... That's why he won't let go of that fantasy...

Vert: "Oh my~ Ahaha... I see how it is..."

With every strike the white reaper's dagger shakes, she swings at the blasts of air that the lord is blowing at her... with a sudden gust of wind enveloping the lord, he disappeared from view...

EnCodex: "Agh! This is-!?"

...The White Reaper was taken by surprise... The lord reappeared beside her, he blasts her away with swift swing of his staff, he then proceeds to unbind Emerald and brings her to me...

Vert: "Is she okay?"

Grun: "Yes, will you please keep her safe for me?"

Vert: "Of course... She means that much to you I see."