Words Fail AU

I know this isn't what happened. It's an AU so it's fake. This is what I think would've happened if Zoe hadn't broken up with Evan.

"I wrote the letters!"

"What?" Zoe asked. Her world was coming crashing down.

"Between me and Connor. I wrote them. I don't know why I did it. But I did." Evan said.

Zoe stared at him. Part of her wanted to break up with him and storm out of the room. Maybe go up to her room and slam the door and cry but the other, and more reasonable part told her not to do that. That maybe Evan had a valid reason. She did love him after all. She watched as her mother ran out of the room in tears and her father made a noise of disgust. She considered running after her mother but she turned to Evan.

"Why?" She asked.

"I... I don't know. I guess I just thought I could be part of this. And I never meant for it to go as far as it did and I'm so sorry and I never meant to hurt your family." Evan sighed. Zoe looked at him.

"I should go." Evan said. Zoe watched as he walked towards the door.

"Wait." She said.

"Zoe. What are you doing?" Her father asked. Zoe turned to look at her father.

"Evan might not have been close to Connor but his speech was genuine. No one deserves to disappear. Look what he did for Connor! He doesn't deserve to be treated like this. You heard him Dad, he didn't do it intentionally. Connor stole a letter he wrote and used it as a suicide note. That's not on Evan. He wasn't planning on hurting us. He didn't do it intentionally." Zoe said. Evan looked at her and she turned back towards him.

"And you know what, Evan is a good guy. He cares so much about us." Zoe said. She walked to Evan's side and grabbed onto his arm.

"You should probably go." Zoe whispered. Evan nodded.

"I'm sorry Zoe." Evan said. Zoe stopped him.

"I'll call you later. Hopefully. If I can't call you tonight, don't think too much of it. I'll see you by my locker tomorrow?" Zoe asked. Evan nodded. Zoe stood up on her tippy toes and kissed him sweetly.

"By the way, what you did. How you came clean like that, it was very brave." Zoe said. Evan smiled and Zoe kissed him one more time before smiling.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Evan said.

"I love you." Zoe said.

"I love you too Zoe." Evan said softly. Zoe opened the front door and Evan kissed her forehead before walking out. Zoe shut the door and walked into the kitchen to deal with her parents.

+++

"Hey Zo." Evan said. Zoe tugged self consciously at her sweater sleeve before smiling at him.

"Zoe. What's wrong? You're pulling at your sleeves." Evan said. Zoe smiled at him.

"I love you." Zoe said.

"I love you too. But you're avoiding the question." Evan said. Zoe sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

"My parents. They think I shouldn't be with you because of what happened last night." Zoe said. Evan looked at her.

"And what do you think?" Evan asked. Zoe looked at him and saw how worried he was. She cupped his face in her hands and kissed him hard.

"I think that I'm in love with you. I think I'm so in love with you that I don't care about what my parents say." Zoe said. Evan wrapped his arms around her waist and she laughed as he spun her around.