Doctors

Zoe smiled at the crying little girl in front of her and put her stethoscope back around her neck.

"Well your heart and your lungs sound healthy. So that's good." She said.

She looked up at the little girls mother.

"How long has Olivia been having the pain?" Zoe asked. Olivia's mother shrugged.

"Since this morning!" Olivia said before bursting into tears again.

"Okay, and where does it hurt the most Olivia?" Zoe said. The little girl looked down at her body and pointed to her stomach.

"My tummy!" Olivia said.

"Is there a specific spot on your tummy?" Zoe asked gently. Olivia looked down at her stomach and pointed at the lower right area.

"That's where it hurts the most." Olivia said as tears streamed down her face.

"And does it always hurt or is it only sometimes?" Zoe asked.

"All the time." Olivia said. She squeezed her eyes shut in pain. Zoe nodded and heard the door open. She turned around and saw Evan standing there.

"Okay Olivia, this is Doctor Hansen." Zoe said. Olivia nodded as Evan walked towards her.

"Hi Olivia. I'm Doctor Hansen. I heard that your tummy's been hurting. Can I take a look?" Evan asked gently.

Olivia nodded and rolled her shirt up. Evan gently pressed on different sections of Olivia's stomach. Olivia yelled in pain when he pressed on the lower right area of her stomach.

"Okay Doctor Murphy, can you order an ultrasound? I'd like to see if there's anything abnormal." Evan said. Zoe nodded.

"Absolutely Doctor Hansen." Zoe said. She walked out of the room.

+++

"Okay Olivia. This is going to be a little bit chilly okay?" Evan said gently. Olivia had stopped crying and looked at Zoe.

"Is it gonna hurt?" She asked, her eyes widening. Zoe crouched beside Evan and looked at Olivia who was clutching her stomach.

"No. Ultrasounds don't hurt. It's going to be a little bit cold but it won't hurt. We're just trying to look in your tummy to see if there's anything causing the pain. But it won't hurt okay?" Zoe said. Olivia nodded.

"What do you think it could be Doctor Murphy?" Olivia's mother asked.

"It could be any number of things. It could be-"

"Appendicitis." Evan said.

"What?" Olivia's mother asked.

"Olivia has appendicitis. We'll have to take it out as soon as possible." Evan said. He wiped the gel off Olivia's stomach and Olivia tugged at Zoe's lab coat. Zoe looked at the small girl and smiled.

"What's app...append..."

"Appendicitis?" Zoe asked.

"Yeah! What is that?" Olivia asked.

"Well, there's a little tiny tube that's attached to your intestines. It's called the appendix. And sometimes, it can get blocked up by food that you eat. And when that happens, it becomes swollen, and that's why your tummy is hurting." Zoe said. Olivia looked at Zoe.

"What's an intestine?" Olivia asked.

"Well its a big long tube that is attached to your stomach. And it squeezes your food into tiny little pieces." Zoe explained.