Chilltober 30: Carve

"Okay Mal, we've gotta pick faces." Zoe said. Mallory looked at the app Zoe had on her iPad.

"Can we do a happy pumpkin Mommy?" Mallory asked. Zoe nodded.

"Of course. We can do a scary one, and a happy one, and then we'll have one more left." Zoe explained. Evan came downstairs and sighed.

"Tia's gone down." He said. Zoe smiled as he kissed her head.

"You're just in time to start stenciling!" Zoe said. Evan laughed.

"Lucky me." He said. Zoe giggled as the printer spit out pieces of paper with pumpkin face stencils on them.

"Alright, do you wanna trace or carve?" Evan asked, already knowing the answer. Zoe smiled.

"I wanna carve." Zoe said.

"Me too!" Mallory cheered. Evan laughed and shook his head.

"You can help Daddy, Mal. But you're not carving on your own." Evan said. Zoe laughed as Evan started tracing the stencil onto the pumpkin.

+++

A few hours later, there were three different pumpkins sitting on the Hansen's kitchen table.

"Looks really good, huh Mal?" Evan asked.

"They're spooky!" Mallory cheered.

"Let's get them outside." Zoe said.

"No Mommy, we can't!" Mallory cried.

"Why not baby girl?" Zoe asked.

"Because the boys at school said they were gonna smash pumpkins and I like these pumpkins too much for them to be smashed!" Mallory cried.

"Okay. The pumpkins will stay here overnight." Evan said. Zoe nodded and looked at her phone.

"And perfect timing, it's bedtime Mal." Zoe said. Mallory sighed and blew goodnight kisses to her pumpkins before walking upstairs with her parents.