I Don't Need Your Help!

"Baby I'm home!" Zoe said. She took her shoes off and sighed in relief when her bare feet hit the cold tile. Her day had been filled with meetings instead of surgeries, which required her to dress nicely. She didn't know why she continued to wear heels while she was pregnant, it wasn't really worth it.

"Babe?" She called. She heard laughter coming from the living room and she walked towards the sound.

"Evan!" She said before entering the room.

"Hey babe! Look who's here!" Evan said. Zoe looked away from her husband and saw her mother sitting in her living room.

"Mom. What a surprise! I had no idea you were coming!" Zoe said.

"Oh, can't I come visit my daughter?" Cynthia said, standing and crossing the room to hug her daughter.

"No of course, this is just a very big surprise." Zoe said. Cynthia just smiled.

"How long are you here for?" Zoe asked.

"Only a few days. I figured I could help paint the baby's nursery! I'm assuming you've picked a nice colour for your baby girl?" Cynthia said.

"Mom, we've both been so busy with work-"

"Oh no problem! We can take the day tomorrow and go pick out paint colours." Cynthia said.

"Mom, I can't just take the day off work, especially with my maternity leave coming up." Zoe said.

"I have a light day tomorrow, I can go with your mom." Evan said, stepping in for the first time. Zoe looked at him and subtly shook her head.

"Oh honey, you don't have to do that!"
Zoe said.

"No! It's okay, I want to. We'll go tomorrow. It'll be fun!" Evan said smiling. Zoe faked a smile.

"Great. Well this has been fun but I work early tomorrow and I'm exhausted. Goodnight." Zoe said.

"Goodnight honey bee." Cynthia said.

"Night babe. Love you." Evan said.

"Love you too." Zoe called back before walking up to her bedroom.

+++

Zoe walked through the front door again and heard laughter from the nursery. She groaned and took her sneakers off. She walked upstairs and saw Evan sitting on the floor assembling something and her mother dealing with a mobile.

"Wow. You guys went all out." Zoe said. She saw the crib in the corner of the room.

"That's not from a baby store." She said softly. Her mother smiled.

"Three generations of Murphy babies have slept in that crib." She said. Zoe looked at her mother.

"How did you even get it here?" Zoe asked, touching the wood.

"Well it cost a little extra but that's what you do for your kids. You help out." Cynthia said.

"I could've bought a crib." Zoe said.

"I know, but this is a special crib." Cynthia said smiling. Zoe was silent.

"Well, I am absolutely starving. Why don't I pop down to the kitchen and whip something up." Cynthia said getting up.

"Mom, stop. I don't need you to whip something up!" Zoe said.

"It's no trouble." She said.

"I was just going to order something, it's easier." Zoe said, running a hand through her hair.

"I'm just trying to help!"

"I don't need your help!" Zoe yelled. Cynthia looked at her.

"You just drop by with the paint colours and my crib and you hover! I can do this Mom! You might think differently but I'm going to be a good mom. I can do this." Zoe said. Cynthia took a deep breath and looked at her daughter.

"I know that you are going to be a good mother. But you're going to need a support system behind you to help you. But if you don't need any help at all with your baby, then I guess I'll just be heading home. Wouldn't want to intrude or be hovering." Cynthia said, leaving the room. Evan and Zoe shared a look and Evan stood up.

"That was a bit harsh." Evan said gently. Zoe looked up at him.

"No. It wasn't. It was what needed to be said. I'm not taking it back." Zoe said. She stormed out of the baby's nursery and into her own room.

+++

"We have an incoming trauma. Should be here in 10-15 minutes." Zoe grabbed a gown and a pair of gloves and walked out to the ambulance bay, where she saw her mother.

"Mom. I thought your flight left at 2:30." Zoe said.

"No. I decided I wasn't leaving without an apology." Cynthia said.

"Mom I-"

"I deserve that much. You were very rude last night and pregnant or not, I am still your mother." Cynthia said. Zoe sighed and sat beside her mother.

"I'm sorry. I was rude and you were just trying to help." Zoe said.

"It's okay to ask for help once and a while Zoe. Particularly with a new baby." Cynthia said.

"Now I know you. You don't like asking for help. But if you need it, then you do. Why didn't you ask earlier?" Cynthia asked. Zoe sighed.

"Some people in the hospital think I can't be a good mom and a good doctor and I'm trying to prove I can do both." Zoe said.

"Honey, you know you're not alone in this? You have Evan and me and your dad and Jared and Alana. We are all here to help in any way we can." Cynthia said, hugging her daughter.

"Maybe you can stay a little longer? I can take a day and we can work on the nursery?" Zoe asked. Cynthia smiled.

"Okay honey bee. Now I can hear sirens. Go dazzle them." Cynthia said. Zoe kissed her mother on the cheek and ran towards the ambulance.