Grilled Cheese

Zoe tossed and turned. She couldn't sleep. This was the third night in a row that she found herself awake at 2:30 am.

She groaned in frustration as she watched the purple numbers on her digital clock change. She laid in her bed for a fair bit of time before getting up. She shoved her feet into a pair of her Uggs and grabbed her keys and her phone. She hoped that Evan's mother wasn't home and she knew Evan would be happy to see her.

She quietly snuck out of her bedroom before looking in her parents bedroom. Both of her parents were asleep, she knew neither of them would be awake anytime soon.

She crept downstairs and out the front door, quietly closing it behind her. She got into her car and quickly started the engine and pulled out of the driveway.

Minutes later she was walking up Evan's front step. She grabbed the spare key from the mailbox and unlocked the door. She put the key back and walked inside. She quietly walked up to his room and knocked on his door. She opened it and saw him sit up and turn the lamp on.

"Zoe? Baby what are you doing here? It's almost 3 am." Evan asked groggily. Zoe shrugged and started pulling at her fingers.

"I um... never mind. It's kind of stupid. You won't want to. It's okay." Zoe said. Evan reached out for her to take his hand.

"What is it baby?" He asked as she walked towards him and took his hand. She sat down across from him and looked at him.

"I can't sleep. And all I can think about is making grilled cheese and watching movies. But it's also almost 3 am on a Saturday morning so if you don't want to that's okay." Zoe said. Evan chuckled and kissed her forehead.

"That sounds like fun. You picked a good night. My mom picked up a night shift." Evan said. Zoe smiled as he got out of bed.

"Come on baby. Let's go." Evan said. Zoe smiled as Evan got out of bed and helped her up. He grabbed her hand and led her downstairs. He opened the cupboard and pulled out the bread.

"Butter and cheese are in the fridge." He muttered. Zoe smiled and pulled the skillet out of the drawer. She set it on the counter and turned to Evan who pressed a kiss to her lips.

"Hi." He whispered. Zoe smiled.

"Hi." She said, kissing him back. Evan smiled.

"Did you walk all the way-"

"I drove."

"Okay princess. Did you drive all the way for grilled cheese or to see me?" Evan asked. Zoe giggled.

"What if I drove over for both?" She asked. Evan kissed her.

"Well I suppose that's okay." Evan said. Zoe smiled and kissed him again.

"I love you." Zoe said softly.

"I love you too baby." Evan whispered.

Zoe sat on the counter as Evan made both sandwiches and put them in the skillet. As the one side cooked, she hopped off the counter and wrapped her arms around Evan's waist. She started humming and Evan laughed.

"What are you humming?" He asked. Zoe shrugged.

"I'm just happy." Zoe said. Evan smiled and turned around.

"Well I'm happy too." Evan said. Zoe smiled as he kissed her.

"Evan, grilled cheese." Zoe said in between kisses.

Evan smiled and pressed one more kiss to her lips before turning back to the grilled cheese. He flipped it and turned back towards her. Zoe smiled as he kissed her again. She wrapped her arms around his neck and he smiled.

"I love you." Zoe whispered.

"I love you more." Evan said. Zoe laughed as he kissed along her jawline.

"Evan! That tickles!" Zoe said laughing. Evan smiled and Zoe ran to the one side of the island.

"Catch me if you can!" Zoe said.

Evan smiled and lunged to the one side. Zoe screamed happily and ran away from Evan's hand. He turned to check on the grilled cheese and Zoe waited until he was away from the hot surface before jumping on his back. Evan laughed and Zoe kissed him on the cheek.

"Zoe!" Evan said. Zoe laughed and kissed the top of his head.

"I love you." She said.

"I love you too Zo." Evan said. Zoe adjusted her grip on Evan's waist and shoulders and he turned the skillet off and put the sandwiches on two separate plates.

"Okay Zo, hop down and grab your sandwich. We'll grab some Disney movies and my laptop and head back upstairs." Evan explained.

"Which Disney movies?" Zoe asked.

"Well I have Disney and Pixar. You can pick some." Evan said, cutting Zoe's sandwich in half.

Zoe smiled and climbed off Evan's back. She ran into the other room and turned the light on. When she came back into the kitchen, she had 6 movies in her hands.

"Okay. So I have The Incredibles, Cars, Toy Story, Up, The Little Mermaid, and Frozen." Zoe said happily. Evan laughed and picked up both plates.

"Okay. Let's go." Evan said. Zoe smiled and ran upstairs. Evan followed her and saw her sitting on his bed with his laptop open.

"Okay Zo, just slow down." Evan said, setting both plates on the bedside table. Zoe smiled as Evan sat beside her.

"Which movie are we watching first?" Evan asked.

Zoe smiled and put the Cars DVD into the computer. Evan smiled and kissed her temple.

"Smart choice." He said.

He handed her one sandwich and took a bite of the other. Zoe smiled as the Pixar lamp jumped onto the screen. She took a bite of her sandwich and rested her head on Evan's chest. He wrapped his arm around her waist and Zoe sighed happily.

"I love you." Evan whispered. Zoe smiled and felt Evan kiss the top of her head.

"I love you too."

+++

"Evan, honey I'm home." Heidi called.

She put her keys in the bowl and looked at her watch. She quickly took her boots off and put her bag down. She had to get back to work before her next shift but she wanted to check on Evan.

"Honey?" She called as she walked upstairs. She quietly opened Evan's door and smiled.

She saw Zoe and Evan lying on Evan's bed. Both of them were asleep and some Disney movie was playing.

Heidi smiled and grabbed a spare blanket out of the hall closet. She closed the laptop and moved it, before covering both teenagers with the blanket. She picked the plates up off the bedside table and smiled before walking downstairs.