Drew

"Okay baby, do you have everything?" Zoe asked.

"Yeah."

"All your hockey gear?"

"Yes Mom."

"Even your mouth guard?" Zoe asked. Drew ran back into the house and came back with a green case a few minutes later.

"Now I have everything." Drew said smiling. Zoe smiled and loaded Drew's hockey gear and sticks into the trunk of her car. Drew climbed into the back seat and Zoe got into the car and started the engine.

"Is Dad coming?" Drew asked.

"I'm pretty sure he's meeting us there. But he said that if he can't make it to this one, he'll be at the next two." Zoe said. Drew nodded and looked out the window.

"Where are we going Mom?" Drew asked.

"Columbus." Zoe said.

"How far is it?" Drew asked.

"Just over an hour and a half." Zoe said.

"Okay. Can we put on a movie?" Drew asked. Zoe nodded and pressed play on the DVD she had ready to go.

+++

An hour and forty five minutes later, Zoe pulled into the rink parking lot.

"Okay honey, lets get your gear and sticks and get you inside." Zoe said. Drew got out of the car and grabbed his gear bag and his sticks from the trunk of the car.

"Okay baby, let's go!" Zoe said, shutting and locking the car. She watched as Drew carried his gear and sticks into the rink before following closely after him.

"Okay baby, you're in dressing room 3. Let's go." Zoe said. Drew and Zoe walked towards the dressing room and Zoe's phone rang.

"Hello?" Zoe asked.

"Hey baby, it's me." Evan said.

"Oh, hey honey, what's up?" Zoe asked.

"Hey, what time does Drew's game start?" Evan asked.

"Um, I think it starts at 2:30. Why do you ask?" Zoe asked.

"What arena?" Evan asked.

"Kinsmen, in Columbus. Why?" Zoe asked again. She heard footsteps behind her and she turned around.

"Because, I want to make sure that I'm standing behind my wife and not someone who looks like her." Evan said. Zoe hung up the phone and hugged Evan.

"How did you get here so fast?" Zoe asked. Evan kissed her on the cheek.

"Drove. My last appointment ended almost two and a half hours ago." Evan said. Zoe smiled.

"Why didn't you call me? Drew would've loved to see you before the game started!" Zoe said.

"He will." Evan said. Zoe smiled.

"Well, I'm sure he's going to be happy that you came at least." Zoe said. Evan smiled and hugged her.

"Hey Zo!"

Zoe turned around and smiled.

"Hey Jenn!" Zoe said.

"Evan! Hi, how are you?" Jenn asked. Evan smiled.

"I'm great, how are you?" Evan asked. Jenn smiled.

"I'm great! Are you guys ready for the game today?" Jenn asked.

"Drew definitely is. He was talking about it last night!" Evan said. Jenn smiled.

"That's awesome!" Jenn said. Zoe looked at Jenn.

"Have you seen the size of the Columbus kids?" Zoe asked.

"Yes! They're massive!" Jenn said.

"There's no way those kids are the same age!" Zoe said.

"They all are! I heard some of their moms talking earlier." Jenn said. Zoe's jaw dropped and she instantly thought of Drew.

Although Drew was fast, he was small. His height genes appeared to come from Zoe so he was a bit smaller than an average child. When Zoe thought about one of the Columbus kids bumping into Drew, her heart dropped.

"Evan, Drew shouldn't play." Zoe said.

"Babe, he'll be okay." Evan said.

"But he's so little, what if he gets hurt?" Zoe asked.

"He won't. He's smart." Evan said.

Zoe watched as Drew's team came out of the dressing room. Drew was at least 3 inches shorter than the next shortest boy on his team. He saw Evan and Zoe and waved, smiling happily.

"Good luck baby." Zoe said. Drew smiled and walked onto the ice.

"Shall we?" Evan asked, holding his hand out for Zoe. She grabbed it and nodded, the frown not leaving her face.

+++

"Go! Shoot it!" Zoe yelled. There was three minutes left and Drew's team was winning by two goals. She watched as Drew was passed the puck and three big Columbus kids started chasing him.

"Go Drew!" She yelled. She watched as Drew picked up the pace. He passed the puck across the ice and two of the Columbus kids went after it. The remaining kid continued to trail Drew until another kid on Drew's team shot at the net. The Columbus kid took his stick and shoved Drew. Drew went flying and slid head first into the boards.

Zoe jumped up and heard parents on the other side of the ice cheering. She moved to walk over and Evan stopped her.

"No. Don't worry about them. Focus on Drew." Evan said. Jenn squeezed Zoe's shoulder and walked towards the Columbus parents. Zoe walked down towards the bench and watched as Drew's coach walked out to where he was. Evan stood behind her and squeezed her shoulder.

"Come on baby. Get up. Come on baby." Zoe whispered. Drew hadn't moved. Jenn walked over and looked at Zoe.

"Those Columbus parents aren't going to bother you." She whispered. Zoe nodded and watched as the assistant coach walked out to where Drew and the coach were.

"Come on Drew. Come on baby. It's time to get up. Get up for me baby." Zoe begged. He started moving his legs and Zoe breathed a sigh of relief. At least he wasn't paralyzed.

"Come on baby. Come on. Get up." Zoe whispered. She could hear Evan muttering something under his breath.

Drew slowly got up and tears welled up in Zoe's eyes.

"Oh my God thank you." Zoe whispered. She ran over to the bench and the coach opened the door.

"You can take him to get his gear off. The rest of the team will be by in a minute." The coach said. Zoe nodded and helped Drew walk to the dressing room.

+++

"I'm sorry Mom." Drew said. Zoe frowned and looked at him.

"Why are you apologizing baby?" Zoe asked. Drew sighed and tears rolled down his face.

"I made you worry! I'm sorry!" Drew said. Zoe sighed and wiped his tears. She sat beside him and pulled him into her arms.

"Oh my sweet boy. You don't have to apologize. It wasn't your fault. I'm just happy you're okay." Zoe said. Drew hugged her tightly and Evan walked in.

"Okay, the gear and sticks are back in the car. How are you feeling bud?" Evan asked. Zoe pushes Drew's hair out of his face and kissed his forehead.

"Okay. My head hurts." Drew said.

"Okay. We'll see how you feel tonight and take you to the doctor tomorrow." Evan said. Zoe nodded and looked at Drew.

"Okay baby, lets get you home. I'll drive with you and Dad can meet us at home." Zoe said. Evan nodded. He hugged Drew and kissed Zoe. Zoe smiled and kept Drew close as the trio walked out to their cars.