Chilltober 14: Thanksgiving

Mallory hummed softly to herself as Zoe traced her small foot on a piece of brown construction paper.

"Mommy, what are you doing?" Mallory asked.

"We're going to make footprint and handprint turkeys for you and Tia and then we're going to put the year on it, so we remember how tiny you two were." Zoe explained. Mallory nodded.

"Heidi are you sure you don't want any help?" Zoe asked.

"Oh honey, don't worry. I've been making my special potatoes for years. The turkeys in the oven and Evan is on the other vegetables. You snuggle your babies." Heidi said. Zoe smiled and continued to help Mallory with the turkey.

"Honey?" Zoe called.

"Yeah Zo?" Evan called.

"What's our estimated eating time?" Zoe asked.

"Around 4." Evan called back. Zoe looked at the clock. It was only 2:27.

"I'm gonna go get Tia." Zoe said. She kissed Mallory's forehead and walked upstairs into Tia's nursery. She walked over to the crib and smiled.

Tia looked up at her mother and stuck her tongue out.

"Hi my angel baby!" Zoe cooed. She pulled on the baby sling and tucked Tia into it.

"Let's go see Grandma and Mallory!" Zoe said in a soft voice. Tia put her fingers in her mouth and Zoe sat at the table. 

"Okay Mallory. I'm going to trace your hand and then cut out a couple. And you're going to give your foot turkey a face." Zoe instructed. Mallory nodded as Zoe traced her hand and Mallory grabbed the glue.

+++

"Grandma! We have turkey! And there's turkey on the fridge!" Mallory laughed. Heidi chuckled and Evan sat down.

"Where's Zoe?" He asked.

"Putting Miss T down. She said she'd be down soon." Heidi said.

"Mallory! No eating yet." Evan said. Mallory sighed and put her fork down. Zoe ran downstairs and sat at the table.

"Okay baby girl, what are you thankful for?" Zoe asked.

"I'm thankful for Mommy and Daddy. And Tia. And Grandma. And Nana and Papa. And Auntie Alana and Uncle Jared and Uncle Connor and Auntie Meredith and Lily." Mallory said.

"And also my friends at school and my teacher." Mallory finished.

"Mom, what about you?" Evan asked.

"I am thankful that I get to spend this wonderful holiday with the two sweetest little girls and my sweet son and my lovely daughter in law." Heidi said. Zoe blushed and Evan smiled.

"I'm thankful for my two sweet little girls, and my incredible, beautiful wife, and that Mom can be here." Evan said. Zoe smiled and looked at her plate.

"Zoe, what about you?" Evan asked.

"My family. My two perfect, beautiful daughters. My incredible husband, my parents and my brother and his family and Heidi of course. I'm just really happy right now. So I'm thankful for that." Zoe said. Evan smiled and kissed her hand.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you." Zoe said.

"Now let's eat." Evan said. Mallory cheered as Zoe cut her food for her.