Chilltober 9: Candles

The power flickered for the third time that night and Zoe looked over at the oven. If there was going to be a power outage, it would have to wait until she was done cooking dinner. The front door closed with a loud slam and Zoe walked over and saw Mallory taking her raincoat off.

"Mama!" Mallory said happily, her eyes lighting up at the sight of her mother. Zoe hugged her tightly and Evan walked into the house.

"Oh my god it's awful out there." Evan said. Zoe stood up and kissed Evan as he took his coat off.

"How was your day baby?" He asked.

"Quiet. How was yours?" Zoe asked.

"Long. Something smells good!" Evan said, helping Mallory with her rain boots.

"Pierogies are all done and chicken is in the oven. I'm really hoping the power doesn't go out or it won't cook." Zoe sighed. Evan kissed her on the cheek and smiled.

"Don't worry Zo, it'll be-"

The lights all went out.

"Fine." Evan finished. Zoe sighed and walked towards the oven.

"Well this will stay pretty warm for a little while. Honey, do we still have those candles?" Zoe asked. Evan nodded and ran upstairs. There was a loud crash of thunder and Mallory jumped before running to clutch her mothers hand.

"It's okay Mal, you're safe with me. I promise." Zoe whispered, memories from her nightmare washing over her.

"Guess who's got candles?" Evan cheered. Mallory ran over to her father as he started to light them.

"Now, we need to make sure these last until the power comes back and we're not going to use phones or flashlights unless it's an emergency." Evan explained.

"Where's T?" Evan asked.

"I put her down for her evening nap at like 4. I'm going to wake her up in a few minutes." Zoe explained. Evan kissed her and shook his head.

"I'll go. I haven't gotten enough of our angel baby." Evan said. Zoe smiled and looked at Mallory.

"Can you come into the kitchen with me Mal?" Zoe asked.

"Why Mommy?" 

"Because I'm afraid to leave you alone." Zoe thought.

"Because Mommy doesn't like the dark and she needs a big strong girl like you to help her not be scared." Zoe explained. Mallory got up and followed Zoe into the kitchen. Zoe pulled the chicken out of the oven and Mallory smiled.

"Pierogies for dinner!" Mallory sang.

Evan walked downstairs cradling Tia and kissed Zoe on the cheek on his way past.

"Smells great baby." Evan commented. Zoe smiled as Evan lit some candles on the table. 

"Come on Mal, Daddy's treating his girls to a candlelit dinner." Zoe said. Mallory laughed and ran to her father. Zoe smiled and shook her head. What would she do without her sweet girl?