Horror Movies

"Okay, I've got a whole bunch of horror movies to watch. We're starting Halloween the right way." Evan said. Zoe sat curled up on his sofa.

"Okay, but I don't like horror movies." Zoe said.

"They're not that bad. Why don't we start with a not so scary one." Evan said. Zoe looked at him.

"I don't know Evan." She said.

"Please Zo?" Evan begged.

"Fine! One scary one. Only one." Zoe said. Evan smiled and put on the Babadook.

Zoe watched and was gradually more and more horrified at what was happening. She watched as the mother tormented and chased her son around the house.

"Evan. Evan turn it off." Zoe said in a soft voice.

"What?" Evan asked.

"Evan, turn it off!" Zoe said loudly. Evan hit the menu button and the movie shut off.

"Are you okay?" Evan asked gently. Zoe was shaking.

"I don't like horror movies." Zoe said.

"I'm sorry love. I'm so so sorry. Let's watch something else." Evan said. Zoe nodded and Evan put The Little Mermaid into the DVD player. Zoe rested her head on his chest and sighed.

"I'm sorry I didn't turn it off earlier baby." Evan said softly. Zoe smiled softly.

"It's okay. I thought I could do it." Zoe said. Evan kissed the top of her head.

"You did great though. Almost the whole movie." Evan said softly. Zoe nodded.

"Almost the whole movie." She said softly. Evan kissed her forehead one more time before they turned back to the movie.

+++

Zoe looked around frantically. He was after her and there was no way he was going to let her out alive. She locked the door and pushed her bookshelf up against it. There was a bang against the door and she jumped.

"I know your in theerrrreee." He sang. Zoe was silent and there was another bang on the door. She jumped and tears spilled down her face.

"I'm not going to hurt youuu." He sang softly. Zoe backed away in fear. He tarted banging on the door again and she covered her hand with her mouth.

"C'mon love, open the door. It's going to be okay if you just open the door." He said softly. Zoe didn't move. She stood there silently and tears spilled down her cheeks. He banged on the door again.

"OPEN THE DAMN DOOR ZOE!" He screamed. Zoe's tears kept coming and she started backing away from the door. The banging continued and the tears continued and Zoe screamed.

+++

"Zoe! Zoe , wake up." Evan said. Zoe sat up, tears still rolling down her face.

"No!" She screamed. Evan knelt beside her and grabbed her hands.

"Zoe, baby what's wrong?" Evan asked.

"Th-There was someone ch-chasing me. So I l-locked myself in my r-room. B-But he was t-trying to kill m-me." Zoe said. Evan pulled her into his arms and kissed her on the top of her head.

"Hey, it's okay. No one is going to hurt you. Not while I'm here." Evan whispered. Zoe started taking deep breaths.

"Was it the Babadook?" Evan asked. Zoe nodded.

"B-But I think it was y-you too." Zoe said softly. Evan froze.

"Zoe I'm so so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I'm so sorry." Evan said. Zoe looked up at him.

"It's okay. I know you didn't mean to." Zoe said. Evan kissed her.

"I love you." She said.

"I love you too." Evan whispered. Zoe squeezed his arm slightly and slowly fell asleep again.