Chilltober 24: Cookies

"Okay Mal, pour it in slowly, okay?" Zoe reminded her. Mallory nodded and began slowly pouring in the water.

"Good girl." Zoe said. Mallory watched the mixer spin around, and Zoe kissed her head.

The door unlocked and Zoe heard someone in the front hall.

"I'm home!" Evan called. Zoe smiled and hugged him tightly. Evan smiled and hugged her back.

"Daddy!" Mallory cheered. She ran towards her father and Evan picked her up.

"There's my sweet girl!" Evan said. Mallory squealed and Evan set her down.

"Now, what are you two doing?" Evan asked.

"Mallory, tell Daddy what we're making." Zoe said.

"Halloween cookies!" Mallory cheered. Evan smiled.

"That sounds really good! Are you decorating them too?" Evan asked. Mallory nodded and walked back over to the mixer.

"Where's our angel baby?" Evan asked.

"She's upstairs, taking her nap. I was going to go get her in a couple minutes." Zoe said.

"I'll run and grab her." Evan said. Zoe smiled and Evan kissed her cheek before walking upstairs.

"Okay Mallory, now I'm gonna flatten out the dough and then we can cut it into shapes, okay?" Zoe said. Mallory nodded as Zoe sprinkled flour on the counter.

She rolled out the dough and after a few minutes, Evan came back down, changed out of his work clothes, with Tia in the baby sling.

"Alrighty Mal, Daddy's going to get you started on cutting out those cookies, so that Mommy can feed Tia." Zoe said. Evan handed Tia to Zoe, who walked into the living room.

"Okay ladybug, let's do this!" Evan said. He handed Mallory various Halloween themed cookie cutters and put the finished ones on a cookie sheet. Zoe walked back into the kitchen as the cookie sheet went into the oven.

"Okay, now, when those come out of the oven and have cooled down, then we can decorate them!" Zoe said. Mallory smiled and hugged her mothers legs.

"What kind of shapes did you make baby girl?" Zoe asked.

"Bats, and pumpkins, and ghosts, and skulls, and what else Daddy?" Mallory asked.

"I think you got all of them Mal." Evan chuckled. Zoe smiled and adjusted her hold on Tia.

"Mommy can I go put my costume on?" Mallory asked.

"No baby girl, maybe after dinner. I don't want you to spill anything on your pretty dress." Zoe said. Mallory frowned for a moment before shrugging and sitting in front of the oven.

"What are you doing ladybug?" Evan asked, grabbing stuff for dinner.

"Waiting for cookies." Mallory said. Zoe chuckled and ruffled Mallory's hair.

"I love you Mal."

"I love you Mommy."