Surgery

TW: character having cancer

"Well Miss Murphy, what seems to be the issue?" Doctor Oudyk asked, sitting on a stool beside Zoe's E.R. bed.

"I've been getting these awful headaches. Like really bad. I figured it was just a migraine thing so I started ignoring it and taking Advil and stuff. But then I started getting clumsier than usual and feeling really weak all the time and so Evan brought me in." Zoe said. Evan grabbed her hand and Doctor Oudyk started typing things into her tablet.

"Okay, we're going to get you admitted, and then run a few scans and see what we can find, okay?" Oudyk said. Zoe nodded.

"Can you give me something for the headache? I've had this one for the past 2 days." Zoe said, grabbing Oudyk's arm.

"Absolutely. I'll talk to one of the nurses and see what we can get." Oudyk said. Zoe smiled.

"Thank you." She whispered.

+++

"Okay Miss Murphy-"

"Zoe."

Doctor Oudyk looked puzzled.

"I'd prefer if you called me by my first name. It's Zoe." Zoe explained.

"Of course. Zoe, we got your scans back." Oudyk said.

"Okay. Is everything okay?" Zoe asked.

"Your scans show a high grade anaplastic oligodendroglioma on your frontal lobe." Oudyk said. Zoe sat up a little straighter and Evan grabbed her hand.

"What exactly does that mean?" Zoe asked. Doctor Oudyk pulled up the scan on a monitor and stood beside Zoe.

"So this is a scan of your brain. This bright white spot, is a brain tumour called an anaplastic oligodendroglioma. It's very aggressive and unfortunately can't be removed quite yet. We'll need our neurosurgery team to look at the scans and figure out a game plan." Oudyk said.

"So what do we do?" Zoe asked.

"Chemotherapy and radiation it start with. This tumour is aggressive, so we'll have to be equally as aggressive with treatment options. The tumour will grow. It will grow quickly so you will be experiencing more symptoms. However, it will be easier to surgically remove once it's larger." Oudyk said.

"So, basically, I have cancer. But I can't do anything about it. I have to sit and let it grow." Zoe asked. Oudyk nodded.

"Unfortunately, that seems to be our only option right now." Oudyk said sadly.

"Okay, um so am I living in the hospital then?" Zoe asked. Oudyk nodded.

"You are. Your boyfriend can get some stuff from home to make it seem more comfortable. We can also have a cot set up for him so he can stay with you." Oudyk said. Zoe's eyes filled with tears and Evan grabbed her hand again. He kissed her hand and Oudyk walked out of the room.

"Evan, I have cancer. And I have to stay here. Everything is falling apart." Zoe said. Evan kissed her softly.

"I know. And it's hard and it's awful but we're going to fight through it. Don't worry." Evan said.

"Too late." Zoe muttered. Evan sighed and kissed her forehead.

"Everything will be okay love." Evan said. Zoe sighed and let Evan try to talk her down.

+++

"Okay. So what's the plan?" Zoe asked, sitting in the chair.

"So, we're starting our first round of chemo today. So you get hooked up to this for a little while." Oudyk said.