First Day of School

"Daddy look at my backpack!" Ellie called. Evan looked into the room where Zoe and Ellie sat together.

"It's so nice Elle!" Evan said. Ellie laughed and ran off into her room, with her new backpack on her back. Zoe sighed and Evan looked at her.

"What's the matter Zo?" Evan asked.

"She's starting kindergarten soon." Zoe said.

"She is. She's growing up." Evan said. Zoe sighed and laid back on the floor.

"She can't. She's my baby. She's not allowed." Zoe said.

"Zoe, she's going to go to kindergarten. She's going to go to middle school. She's going graduate high school. She's going to get married and have babies of her own and she'll be in your position." Evan said.

"She's not ready for kindergarten. She still needs help with her shoes sometimes!" Zoe said.

"That's what the teacher is there for. She's going to be okay." Evan said. Zoe sighed and kept labelling Ellie's school supplies.

"But she's my little girl. Evan, I don't think she's ready." Zoe said.

"What makes you say that?" Evan asked, sitting beside Zoe.

"Because she needs me!" Zoe said. Evan pulled Zoe into a hug.

"You still have another week. Kindergarten isn't going to change anything." Evan said softly.

"She's leaving me." Zoe said sadly. Evan hugged her tighter.

"Only for a few hours. She'll be back before you know it!" Evan said. Zoe sighed and rested her head in the crook of Evan's neck.

"It's going to be tough, but you can both get through it." Evan said sweetly.

"You have to say that. You're my husband." Zoe said. Evan chuckled.

"It's still true." Evan said. Zoe sighed and Evan kissed her forehead.

"She'll be okay Zo. She's our daughter. She's going to crush it." Evan said.

"I know. I'm just getting anxious. What if she can't make any friends? What if she gets picked on? What if she gets really sad and misses us too much?" Zoe asked.

"She knows what to do in a situation like that. Zoe let's take some deep breaths. Ellie's going to crush kindergarten." Evan said. Zoe took a deep breath and stood up.

"Okay. You're right. She's going to be fine." Zoe said. Evan stood up and smiled.

"Yeah she is. She's our daughter. She can do anything."

+++

"Okay Ellie. Are you ready to go?" Zoe asked, buckling her seatbelt. Ellie buckled her own seatbelt and gave Zoe a thumbs up.

"All ready Mommy!" Zoe laughed and started the car. She pulled out of the parking lot and started driving to the school.

"Are you excited Ellie?" Zoe asked.

"So excited Mommy! New kids and new toys!" Ellie said happily. Zoe looked in the rear view mirror and smiled.

"Well we're almost there so I hope you're ready." Zoe said. Ellie didn't respond.

"You're staying right?" Ellie asked.

"No baby. Mommy has to come home. But I'll be there at the end of the day to pick you up." Zoe said.

"Why can't you come?" Ellie asked.

"Kindergarten isn't a place for mommies and daddies. It's for kids. So mommies and daddies drop their kids off in the morning and pick them up at the end of the day." Zoe said.

"Oh." Ellie said softly.

"You'll meet so many nice boys and girls though Elle, don't worry baby." Zoe said, determined to get her daughter excited about kindergarten again.

"I guess." Ellie said.

"Baby, what's the matter?" Zoe asked.

"It won't be fun if you aren't there." Ellie said as Zoe pulled into the parking lot. She stopped the car and turned around in her seat.

"It's only a few hours Elle. You'll have so much fun!" Zoe said. Ellie shrugged. She wasn't convinced.

"Let's get you in there, huh ladybug." Zoe said smiling. Ellie sighed but got out of the car anyway.

+++

"Look Ellie! Look at all the toys!" Zoe whispered to her daughter. Ellie clutched her mother's hand tighter as a woman walked towards them.

"Hello! You must be Ellie! I'm Miss Butler and I am going to be your teacher this year!" Miss Butler said. Zoe smiled.

"Sorry, she's a little shy today." Zoe said.

"That's okay! It's her first day at a new place away from her mom. It's okay to be shy!" Miss Butler said.

"I'm Zoe Hansen." Zoe said. Miss Butler smiled and shook Zoe's hand.

"It's wonderful to meet you both! Now Ellie, would you like to come and colour with some other boys and girls?" Miss Butler asked. Ellie looked up at Zoe who nodded.

"Go ahead ladybug! I'll be back later to pick you up! I love you so much." Zoe said. Ellie hugged her mother.

"I love you too Mama! Bye!" Ellie said before running into the classroom.

"What time is pickup?" Zoe asked.

"School ends at 3:30." Miss Butler said. Zoe nodded.

"Perfect. I'll be back around 3:30." Zoe said before waving one more time and leaving the room.

+++

"Daddy you should've seen all the kids! There were so many! And Miss Butler read us a funny story about cows with a typewriter and then we got to draw pictures of cows! And then me and my best friend Emily played in the sandbox and then we had recess!" Ellie said.

"Well it sounds like you had an awesome day jellybean!" Evan said, kissing Zoe's hand.

"I told you she'd be fine." He whispered. Zoe smiled and nudged him as they listened to Ellie chatter about her day.

+++

Hi guys!

I'm so sorry for the wait. I've been really busy with work and school and I planned to upload this earlier but my birthday is tomorrow and we were celebrating with my aunt and uncle and cousins today and I wasn't allowed on my phone.

Anyway I hope you like this one shot!

Xoxo
Sophie💕