Chilltober 10: Swing

"No! Mommy I'm not going!" Mallory screamed. Zoe's eyes widened and she looked over at Evan who was had an empty bottle in one hand and Tia in the other.

"But Mallory, you love going to school. Why do you not want to go?" Zoe asked.

"Mommy I'm not going! You can't make me!" Mallory yelled, tears started to form in her eyes.

"Okay, Mal, just stay here I'm gonna talk to Daddy." Zoe said, walking towards Evan, who was making faces at Tia.

"What do we do? We can't just keep her home." Zoe whispered.

"We need to figure out why she won't go. If she just isn't feeling it, then that's not really a good enough reason." Evan said quietly. Tia started crying and Evan started gently bouncing her up and down and patting her back.

"You've gotta talk to her, if she doesn't go soon, she's going to miss the bus and she'll be even later if I drive her because Tia hates her carseat." Zoe whispered. Evan nodded and handed a screaming Tia over to Zoe.

"Hi angel baby. It's okay." Zoe said, gently bouncing Tia.

Evan walked over to Mallory who was curled up on the couch.

"Come on princess, why do you not want to go to school?" Evan asked gently.

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Because."

"Mal, if we don't get an answer, you'll have to go." Evan said.

"No." Mallory snapped.

"Mallory. I have to get to work and Mom has her hands full with Tia and you're about to have a school bus to catch if you're not going to talk to us." Evan explained.

"Mom always has her hands full with Tia." Mallory muttered.

"Is that why you don't want to go to school?" Evan asked. Mallory shook her head.

"Then what is it Mal?' Evan asked gently.

Mallory started crying and Evan frowned.

"Mal! What's the matter?" Evan asked.

"Th-There's this kid in m-my class." Mallory started.

"Mallory is there someone bullying you in your class?" Evan asked. Mallory nodded and started to cry more.

"Zoe!" Evan called.

"Yeah?" Zoe yelled from the dining room.

"Can you come in here?" Evan asked.

Zoe walked into the room with Tia wrapped in her arms.

"Mallory what's the matter sweetheart?" Zoe asked, sitting beside her.

"She's being B-U-L-L-I-E-D." Evan whispered.

"Is that why you want to stay home?" Zoe asked. Mallory nodded and Zoe felt her heart break.

"Okay baby. You can stay home today." Zoe said. Evan nodded and kissed Mallory's forehead.

"Okay, I've got to get to work. I love you guys so much." Evan said. He knelt in front of Mallory.

"Don't cry sweetheart. We can ruin your pretty eyes with tears." Evan said softly. He kissed Zoe and sighed.

"I'll see you after work. I love you." He said. Zoe smiled.

"I love you! Mallory say bye to Daddy." Zoe said.

"Bye Daddy." Mallory said softly.

"Okay! I'll see you later! Have a fun day you three!" And Evan left.

"Come on sweetie, let's get you some juice." Zoe said, leading Mallory into the kitchen.

+++

"Look Mal! Want to go on the playground?" Zoe asked. Mallory nodded and ran over. Zoe parked the stroller and Mallory ran towards the swing.

"Mommy! Come push me!" Mallory called. Zoe nodded and drove the stroller over, parking it beside the swing set. Zoe smiled.

"Hold on tight baby girl." She said. She pulled Mallory back and let her go.

Mallory soared into the air and screamed in delight. Zoe continued to push her and she smiled at Mallory's screams.

After about 5 minutes Mallory's screams stopped.

"Mommy I'm done." Mallory said. Zoe helped the swing slow down and Mallory hopped off, standing beside her mother.

"I love you Mommy." Mallory said.

"I love you baby girl." Zoe said.