Chilltober 6: Apple

"We should take the girls out today." Zoe sighed as she rested her head on Evan's chest. He kissed her bare shoulder and nodded.

"What were you thinking?" Evan asked.

"We should go apple picking. I think Mallory would really love that." Zoe said.

"She hated it last time." Evan reminded.

"She'll like it. She can at least pretend." Zoe said getting out of bed. She put her robe and the baby sling on and leaned over and kissed Evan.

"I'm going to go check on T." Zoe said. She walked into Tia's room and saw her lying in her crib smiling at the ceiling.

"There's my sweet angel baby." Zoe cooed softly. She picked Tia up and tucked her into the baby sling. Tia babbled softly as Zoe carried her downstairs where she saw Mallory sitting at the table colouring.

"Good morning pumpkin." Zoe said, walking towards the coffee machine.

"Hi Mommy." Mallory said, not looking up.

"So Mal, after breakfast, we're gonna get you and T dressed, and go for a drive." Zoe explained, making a pot of coffee.

"Where?" Mallory asked, still looking at her colouring.

"We're gonna go apple picking!" Zoe said smiling. Mallory looked up and groaned.

"But it's boooooring!" Mallory whined.

"But then we have apples for pie and for snacks and other stuff." Zoe said.

"But we could just buy apples and buy apple pie." Mallory whined.

"Well, we're going. You're going to eat something and Daddy is going to help you get dressed so we don't have another issue like we did the other day. No more shorts in October." Zoe said.

"Do I have to?" Mallory complained.

"Yes. Now what are you having for breakfast Miss?" Zoe asked. 

Mallory looked at her mother with an innocent smile on her face.

"French toast please." She asked. 

"No, we had pancakes yesterday. Something fairly quick, I'd like to get going." Zoe said, as Evan came downstairs.

"Daaaaadyyyy." Mallory whined.

"What's the matter sweetheart?" Evan asked, kissing Mallory's head.

"I don't wanna go apple picking." Mallory whined.

"I know princess, but that's what's happening." Evan said, going to get coffee. Mallory pouted, and slumped in her seat. She was not looking forward to this.

+++

"Okay, we did it! Who's ready to go home?" Evan asked. Mallory rose her hand and Zoe reached up and grabbed her hand.

"You did great Mal! Look at all the apples you got!" Zoe cheered. Mallory sighed and Zoe looked at her.

"I'm proud of you sweetheart." Zoe said. Mallory looked at her and shrugged.

"Okay. I didn't get many high ones though." Mallory said sadly, resting her arms and her head on the top of Evan's head. Zoe smiled and pointed up.

"Look up sweetie." Zoe said. Mallory looked up and smiled.

Hanging above her was a shiny red apple.

She smiled and reached up, pulling it off the branch and looking at it.

"What do you think Mal? Good or bad?" Evan asked.

Mallory reached to hand it to her mother.

"Good."