Chilltober 8: Nightmares

(TW: murder, shooting, guns)

Zoe smashed her face into the pillow. Tia had just been put back down after her late night feeding and Zoe was exhausted. She felt Evan's arm drape over her waist and she smiled as she sank into the dark abyss of sleep.

+++

"I'm home!" Zoe called happily. Evan had been sweet enough to take the girls for the day so Zoe could go and do things that needed to be done.

"Mommy!" Mallory yelled.

But there was no sound of footsteps after Mallory's yell like there normally was. 

"Mal! Come help Mommy with the groceries!" Zoe called. 

No footsteps approached. 

"Mal?" Zoe called again.

No footsteps.

"Mallory!" Zoe called, with a sense of urgency.

"Mommy!" Mallory yelled. There was a sense of panic in her voice and that was all Zoe needed to drop the groceries and run into the kitchen.

"Mallory!" Zoe gasped.

Mallory's tiny body was roughly tied to one of the kitchen chairs and there was blood everywhere.

"Mommy, help." Mallory begged. Zoe dropped beside her and started to untie the ropes.

"Baby girl, who did this?" Zoe asked softly as she untied the last knots.

"The scary man." Mallory whispered. Zoe stopped and her eyes widened.

"Mallory, where's your sister?"  Zoe asked in a panic.

Mallory didn't respond and Zoe's heart plummeted.

"Okay Mallory. This is what you're going to do. You're going to take the emergency cell phone and get away from the house and hide. Somewhere they can't find you. Then, you're going to call 911 and tell them what happened and what your address is. Then call Auntie Alana and tell her that there's been an accident and tell her where you are and ask her to pick you up." Zoe explained.

Mallory didn't respond and Zoe looked at her.

"Mallory. Do you understand?" Zoe asked. Mallory nodded and Zoe hugged her.

"I love you baby girl. I love you so much." Zoe breathed.

"I love you Mommy." Mallory said.

"Now go. Quickly Mallory, go." Zoe said. Mallory got up and grabbed the phone before slipping out the back door. Zoe blinked away the tears and heard the floor creaking.

"Welcome home." A voice said from behind her. Zoe turned around slowly and saw a man standing in the doorway with a gun pointed at her.

"Who are you?" Zoe asked.

"Let's just say I'm a friend of your husband's." The man said.

"Where is my husband?" Zoe asked. The man chuckled and showed her his bloody hands.

"No." Zoe breathed. 

"Yeah. Now there was a little one tied up. What did you do with her?" The man asked. Zoe felt a lump in her throat as she thought of how she might never see her sweet little girl again.

"She's gone." Zoe said The man laughed and cocked the gun.

"Where did she go?"  The man asked. Zoe laughed.

"My daughter is smart. She won't let someone like you hurt her."  Zoe said simply. The man chuckled.

"I'm going to give you one more try before I put a bullet in your skull and send you to join your husband." The man said.

"Why? Why do you want us dead?" Zoe asked.

"Nothing personal." The man said. "Now where is she?" 

"You won't find her." Zoe sneered. A gun shot was the last sound she heard.

+++

Zoe sat up gasping and Evan sat up beside her.

"Baby, what happened?" Evan asked.

"N-Nightmare." Zoe gasped. Evan kissed her temple and pulled her close.

"Mallory! Tia! I have to check on them!" Zoe said. She pulled herself out of bed and ran to Tia's room. She was soundly asleep in her crib and Zoe ran to Mallory's room. Mallory was curled up under her blanket and she sat up.

"Mommy? What's wrong?" Mallory asked, rubbing her eyes. Zoe walked in and sat beside Mallory, pulling her into a hug.

"Nothing sweet girl. Nothing."