Grocery Shopping

"Mommy! There's no food!"

Zoe looked up from her laptop and saw her 8 year old daughter standing in front of her.

"What's the matter Anya?" Zoe asked. Her daughter crossed her arms and Evan walked downstairs with their youngest daughter in his arms.

"There's no food in the house!" Anya whined. Zoe closed her laptop and walked into the kitchen. She opened the fridge and turned to Evan.

"I thought you were going grocery shopping yesterday." Zoe said. Evan looked at her.

"I told you I couldn't. I had a patient who ran long. Then you said you'd pick something up." Evan said. Zoe sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

"Okay. We'll just go now. Can you grab Hudson and we can go." Zoe said.

"Yeah. You grab Ro's car seat, I'll get Hudson." Evan said, handing Zoe the baby.

"Come on Anya, lets get shoes on." Zoe said.

"Is everyone coming?" Anya asked, looking at her mother. Zoe strapped Rosie into her car seat and nodded.

"Yep. Everyone is coming to the grocery store." Zoe said. Anya smiled and pulled her running shoes.

"Evan! Let's go!" Zoe yelled. Evan came down the stairs with their 5 year old son.

"Mommy where are we going?" Hudson asked.

"We are going on a grocery store adventure. And maybe if you guys are good, we can get a treat later." Zoe said. Anya and Hudson looked at each other and smiled.

"What kinda treat Mommy?" Hudson asked.

"Well, we'll have to see how well behaved you are at the grocery store!" Zoe said.

"Okay you two, go get in the car." Evan said smiling. Zoe picked up Rosie's car seat and Evan kissed her.

"Are you driving or am I?" Zoe asked.

"Can you?" Evan asked. Zoe nodded.

"I can. But you're putting Rosie in the car." Zoe said, handing Evan the car seat.

"Mommy! Daddy! The car is loooocked!" Anya yelled.

Zoe took the keys from Evan and walked out towards the minivan. She unlocked the car and Hudson and Anya climbed in, buckling their seatbelts. Evan strapped Rosie into her car seat before climbing into the passenger seat. Zoe climbed into the car and started it before pulling out of the driveway.

+++

"Mommy! Can we get these!" Anya asked, holding out a box of Honey Smacks. Zoe took the box and read the back.

"Hmm, 15 grams of sugar in one serving. That is waaay too much sugar. Find a different cereal." Zoe said. Anya groaned and put the box back on the shelf.

"Here Mommy!" Hudson said, putting a box of Froot Loops in the cart.

"Hmm, 12 grams of sugar. How about some Cheerios?" Zoe said, putting the box back and putting a box of Honey Nut Cheerios in the cart.

"Come on Zo, let the kids get their cereal." Evan said, putting assorted junk food in the cart.

"Okay! We need to buy food with actual nutritional value! Not just junk food! Evan you're as bad as the kids!" Zoe said smiling. Evan groaned and took the junk food out of the cart.

"You're no fun." Evan said. Zoe laughed and Anya and Hudson took off down the aisle.

"I didn't think you'd be so difficult with nutritional value." Evan said as Zoe put a carton of all-organic whole milk in the cart.

"Well I like having kids who aren't bouncing off the walls all day." Zoe said smiling. Evan kissed her on the cheek and the pair continued shopping, right behind their children.

+++

"Okay! 200 dollars worth of groceries. That should last a decent amount of time." Zoe said, putting the last bag on the counter. Anya our the Cheerios in the cupboard and sighed.

"I still think we should've gotten Honey Smacks." She said, putting the milk in the fridge.

"I know Nastya. Maybe over the summer." Zoe said smiling. Anya smiled and hugged her mother. Hudson saw that he wasn't part of the hug and grabbed onto his mother's waist. Evan smiled and picked up Rosie before hugging Zoe.

"I love you guys." Anya said. Zoe kissed Anya's forehead and Hudson's forehead.

"I love you guys too!" Hudson said smiling at his parents.

"I love you all. Now come on you dorks, we need to get these groceries put away." Zoe said smiling.