Imaginary Friend

Requested by @Ayrissa_Christensen

"Daddy!"

Evan smiled as his 6 year old daughter Lily came hurtling towards him.

"There's my girl!" He said, hugging her. "How was your day?" He asked.

"It was good! We started our Halloween art today!" Lily said.

"Did you? What are you making?" Evan asked, walking towards their car with Lily's hand in his.

"Paper plate pumpkins!" Lily said happily.

"That sounds awesome! Now, lets go home and see Dad. I'm sure he's excited to hear about your pumpkin art." Evan said. Lily climbed into the car and Evan helped her with her seatbelt before climbing in the drivers seat.

"We also did other colouring! And I drew my imaginary friend!" Lily said.

"That's awesome! You'll have to show me it when we get home, huh Lillipop?" Evan asked. Lily didn't respond but proceeded to start mumbling to herself.

"Who are you talking to Lillipop?" Evan asked.

"My imaginary friend." Lily said.

"What's your imaginary friend's name?" Evan asked.

"Benjamin." Lily said. Evan thought for a minute before continuing to drive home.

+++

"Daddy look!" Lily said, running towards Evan. She passed him a sheet of paper with a drawing of a boy on it.

"Lily, who's this?" Evan asked.

"That's my friend Benjamin." Lily said. Evan looked at the drawing.

"C'mon Evan! It'll be fun!" Benjamin said.

"But it's a bad thing to do." Evan said. The boy walked circles around Evan.

"C'mon. Your mom is always too busy to play with you. She's hardly ever home, and does she really care?" Benjamin asked.

"I can't kill my mom. Who else will feed us, and drive us to school, and buy us toys on Christmas?" Evan asked.

"Don't be a wimp. Just do it. There are pills in the medicine cabinet that if mixed with red wine could have some very bad effects. Just do it, no one will ever know." Benjamin said.

"No. I'm not doing it. Go away!" Evan said.

"Lily, where's Dad?" Evan asked. Lily shrugged.

"Connor?" Evan called.

"Upstairs." Connor called back. Evan walked upstairs.

"Did you hear about Lily's imaginary friend?" Evan asked.

"Yeah, Benjamin. I think she's too old for imaginary friends." Connor said. Evan paced.

"Evan, what's wrong?" Connor asked.

"I had an imaginary friend when I was around Lily's age. His name was Benjamin and he looked exactly like the picture Lily drew of him." Evan said.

"So?" Connor asked.

"So, he tried to convince me that I should kill my mom!" Evan said. Connor stood up.

"I'll go talk to her. No one is getting killed, especially not by Lily." Connor said before walking downstairs.

+++

Connor walked upstairs 30 minutes later.

"I'm pretty sure the problem is solved. Lily and I had a nice long chat about friends at school and I think she's done with Benjamin." Connor said. Evan hugged him and sighed.

"For good?" Evan asked.

"For good."