Chilltober 12: thanksgiving

(I know that all these characters are American, but thanksgiving is one of my favourite parts of October, so for these reasons they celebrate thanksgiving in October with me and my fellow Canadians :))

"Zoe, honey, go sit. Let me do this." Cynthia said, shooing Zoe away from the oven.

"It's okay Mom, I can do this." Zoe protested.

"Remember when you were pregnant with Tia and were on bedrest? Remember how much you hated that? Let's avoid that with this pregnancy and have you take it easy." Cynthia nagged.

Zoe sighed and handed her mother the peeler before going to sit in the living room with the rest of the family.

"Let me go give Cynthia a hand." Heidi said upon Zoe's arrival. She set her wine glass down and disappeared into the kitchen.

"So how's baby number three?" Meredith asked, taking a sip of wine.

"Pretty easy so far. Definitely the easiest pregnancy." Zoe said, sitting beside Evan and resting her hands on her bump. 

"So pretty soon you're going to have three little goblins, are you two ready to be outnumbered?" Connor asked.

"Mal and Tia aren't goblins... all the time." Zoe said.

"Either way, are you ready to be outnumbered?" Connor asked.

"Yeah, I mean I don't even know if this baby will be the last one. I mean I've got a few good years left so I might as well try one more." Zoe explained.

"Where's Dad?" Zoe asked, looking around.

"Oh, he took the girls to the park. But I understand what you mean by having a few years left." Meredith responded, taking a drink from her wine glass.

"Do you think you're having a boy or a girl?" Conner asked.

"I think it's a girl, but Evan really wants a boy."

"What do the girls think?" Meredith asked.

"Mallory felt baby kicks the other day and she's very excited. She desperately wants a baby brother. Tia seems incredibly unfazed by the whole thing but I'm sure she'll figure it out when I leave without a baby and come back with one." Zoe explained.

The front door opened and Lily and Mallory came crashing through the front door, giggling loudly. Tia was clutching Larry's hand and she toddled in after the two older girls.

"Mommy!" Mallory yelled.

"Hi sweet girl. Where did you go with Papa?" Zoe asked as Mallory squeezed between Evan and Zoe.

"Ma-ma!" Tia screeched toddling as fast as she could over to her mother.

"My baby girl!" Zoe cooed, scooping Tia up and hugging her tightly.

"We went to the park!" Lily chimed in.

"The park? How was that?" Zoe asked.

"It was fun!" Mallory cheered.

"Tia, did you go on the swing?" Zoe asked.

"Ya!" Tia screamed.

"Was it fun?" Zoe asked.

"Ya!" Tia yelled.

"Alright you rascals. Go wash hands, I'm sure dinner will be ready soon." Meredith said, shooing the girls out of the room.

+++

"Alright, everyone has food, let's eat!" Larry said.

"Papa wait!" Mallory yelled.

"What is it Mal?" Zoe asked.

"We have to say what we're thankful for!" Mallory whined.

"Okay sweet girl, why don't you start us off?" Zoe asked.

"I'm thankful for my mommy and daddy and Tia, and my family here, and Mommy's baby, and school." Mallory explained.

"Good girl, who's next?" Evan asked.

The Hansen-Murphy's went around the table saying what they were thankful for, until they got back to Zoe.

"Alright Zo, why don't you finish us off and then we can eat." Larry declared.

"I'm thankful that you guys could all come celebrate with us. I'm thankful for my two beautiful daughters. I'm thankful for my incredible husband. And I'm thankful for the little bean in my tummy." Zoe said.

"Very well said Little Z." Connor said.

"All right you rascals, let's eat." Larry said. Zoe smiled and Evan kissed her on the cheek.

"I love you." He whispered.

Zoe smiled.

"I love you."