Chilltober 16: Quiet

Zoe sighed and sank into the comfort of the couch. Tia had just gone down for her afternoon nap and she had a few hours of peace and quiet, which was rare in the Hansen house.

She opened her phone and started to scroll through Pinterest when she heard creaking upstairs. She sat up and frowned. There was no one else home. What could possibly be creaking upstairs?

She stood up and slowly walked upstairs, hearing the creaking again. Her heart started racing as the creaking got louder and more frequent.

She opened the door to Tia's room and frowned at the room.

Only Tia was there, sound asleep.

Zoe frowned and heard the creaking again. She looked up and realized it was coming from the attic. She sighed and closed Tia's door.

She opened the door in the ceiling, the ladder neatly unfolding as she lowered it. She climbed up and shone her flashlight around the attic before coming face to face with a raccoon.

Zoe gasped and bit back a scream. She didn't want to wake Tia. She climbed down the ladder and closed the door. She grabbed her phone and called Evan.

"Zoe?" Evan asked.

"EVANTHERESARACCOON!" Zoe cried.

"What? Baby slow down. What's wrong?" Evan asked.

"THERESARACCOON!" Zoe whispered.

"One more time. Slow down baby." Evan soothed. Zoe took a deep breath.

"Raccoon. In the attic." Zoe said.

"Okay. Well don't provoke it or go near it. I'll call animal control." Evan said. Zoe nodded and took deep breaths.

"I love you baby. You're fine." Evan soothed. Zoe sighed and let him talk her down. She giggled.

"What is it?" Evan asked.

"Just wait until Mallory finds out."